Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had my opti out...
Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok...well after a couple of frustrating hours still having same issues.
brand new gm opti is now on the car, i tried grounding the coils to the drivers side head and didnt make a difference, this is not a ground issue.
The timing is off and it is backfiring threw the intake.
tomorrow i am going to the local autoparts store and getting a new coil and hooking all the old wires to the opti and i am betting it will run fine.
All i have to say is I sold my mds 6al and blaster coil for half what i paid cause i didnt think i would need it anymore cause this ltcc mod.
it's time
Old 08-05-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know all you guys like the LTCC, but I have DD'd my Delteq for about a year and 10K miles and no issues here. I heard the owner guy is sick though. I don't know how it does with cams or anything, but it has never even given me a hiccup. Well worth the time and money.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

I actually talked to him yesterday and he wants me to try a few things a chase all the color codes back.
It has been frustrating but i have to say that after speaking with him last night he seems to be a nice guy and willing to help.
He wants to make sure all the correct wires are going to the correct coil then if nothing comes of that he said to send the box back, so he seems to be willing to help and again seems like a nice guy in general.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

ok...well after all the frustration it turns out the factory coil harness was plugged in backwards on the drivers side, cyl 1,3,5,7 was actually connected wrong on the factory coil harness, it was like 7,5,3,1 instead of 1,3,5,7
I want to thank Bob Bailey for all his help and I cant wait to get the water pump and pulley back on and actually drive the car!
So leasons learned...dont assume the factory coil harness is wired correctly cause mine wasnt, now time!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Thats great man!! I am so glad to hear it. That is the diff. between yours and mine. Mine came with the harness from Bob. I also use the retard feature for my Nitrous and the soft touch rev limiter...a Delteq can't do that.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I'm glad you found an easy solution. I have the old style individual harness to coil setup. I have pretty much narrowed it down to three possibilities. A problem with EMI, and the plug wires, Bob's box, or it being out of time, because I stabbed the opti in the wrong hole.

It is definitely timing and firing issue.

I don't really have the option of going back to a stock setup. The powerband on the engine is 6500+. It is a street car, but I mostly race it. It's blowing up rotors, and I've got to have a more reliable setup for it.

I just hate the idea of pulling that damn opti again. I can do it in my sleep.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Well, it's fixed! After the above post, I went out and checked the coil harness's again. #3 and #5 were mismarked. Fired it up, knew it right away. She's ready to race again. So much for quality control.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

thats awsome!!!!
Yah, last thing i would have believed was the coil harness was plugged in wrong at the coils especially since i never disconnected the coils from the harness. lessons learned i guess
Old 08-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

It did remind me, now that I think about it, of the one or two times I accidently swapped plug wires, over the years.

I just expected the LTCC stuff to be right, out of the box.

Now, I've got fresh 02's, fresh plugs, fresh wires, awesome grounds, a new set of custom Magnacor's on the way, and it turns out it wasn't my screw up at all.

It's gonna be hot Friday night, but I'm going racin'.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

yah, i hope to have everything together this weekend, my 4 yr old keeps asking when i'm gonna take him to DQ in the camaro?
I have had to say maybe next weekend for the whole summer
I remember the old days...nothing better to do except build the camaro but i wouldnt trade it for anything!
Well...i might trade the house for a condo, i now hate grass!
I'll just keep up the old
Old 08-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Well, to wrap this up, I took the Impy out Friday night, and she ran flawlessly! Made six passes, all within a hundredth, she's a good bracket car. It was hot and humid. Best pass was 12.38@110. Not bad for a 4400lb. race weight.

I just hate I spend so much time and money, on a mislabeled wiring harness. That should not have happened.

Just glad it's running again!!

Quick Reply: LTCC install ?