LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor Rebuild for more RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor Rebuild for more RPM

well guys I have searched around the site and tried to research as much as possible but I haven't been able to find much on what i'm looking for. I wanted to ask you fellows for some advice. I'm looking to build a stock bore stock cubed motor. I have been looking around at the rebuild kits. I want to know what I need to let this motor run some high rpms in the 7K range. The cam I have is going to want to rev pretty high. I have stock ported heads. I was looking to run around a 150-200 on it. Would I need forged rods and pistons to run that amount of nitrous safely? I'm looking for some input from you guys that know these motors pretty well. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you want to spin to 7K, ARP rod bolts are a must.
If you want to do a 200 shot, forged pistons are a must, forged rods would be recommended, stock crank might be ok.
You might want to run lighter weight internals and lower tension rings for higher rpms, hopefully someone will chime in as I am not familiar with it.
Wish I could help more.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Launching!

yup, make the rotating assembly as light as possible starting with reciprocating parts and then to rotating parts. that means short pistons as you would need with longer rods, said 6" forged rods, and if budget allows, lightweight forged crank. also pay attention to valvetrain components. they should definitely not be skimped on. cheap parts here wil destroy the entire engine, especially the components closest to the valves. springs, keepers, retainers, and rockers. the valves themselves are a reciprocating part and should be light for better control of their motion. l
Old 07-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

actually according to all of my books, lt1 rods are powdered metal which is just as strong as forged rods but lighter and cheaper. if u want a 200 shot go with forged pistons if u want a 150 shot stock are fine just need a safe tune. Get some lt1 books to do ur research..... my local library has them and they seem pretty dead on
Old 07-26-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trust me those stock rods won't take it long. The RPMs won't kill them as much as the Juice on big shot.

I see them on a regular basis
Old 07-26-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

^Agreed!

Quick Reply: Motor Rebuild for more RPM