LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

17 year old needing advice or ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't put a lot of money in it because many young drivers wreck their first few cars anyways! Also, since I own both an LT1 and LS1 car with the price of LS1 cars getting so low I'd leave the LT1 stock and save the money to buy an LS1 car.
I know all of you in this section will hate me for saying that. Sorry, but the LS1 is a much more efficient and powerful motor.[/QUOTE]

After seeing both of them each engine has it's owns perks and down's yes the lt1 is outdated but without the lt1 where would you ls1 guy's be respect your elder's a few of ehm can kick your ***
Old 08-19-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

The biggest mistake i made in high school was dumping my checks into cars. I should have saved every single penny I could for college. wow how ignorant I was... I sure could use a couple grand right now to pay for a couple of these #@%#$ classes. Listen to everybody who says save your money man, don't waste it on car mods. a little here and there is ok but i wouldn't try to be throwing in a big block or something like that.. its gonna take you a few years to do that sort of thing anyway, obviously theres MUCH more than just 'transplanting' a 454 into your f bod. think about all the custom pieces involved... trans... rear end... hood.. headers ugh... i would expect that sort of thing to cost a minimum of 10,000 $ for materials if all the labor is done yourself. seriously just save your money
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black01M6SS
OP, look at the times this guy is running with a bolt on LT1. I'm sure the older guys you know are probably telling you that you need a big block or stroker motor to run good but this guy is running 12.6's without doing any internal work to his LT1. Do a little research and look at the times most of those old school muscle cars actually ran. You might be a little more impressed by the engine that you already have.
and im only 19... and i got my car about the age of the OP simple mods really do add up...
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm 17 as well, and I'll agree, mods do add up quick. It's amazing how fast they add up. I bought my car for $6100. Roughly $800 on headers/exhaust, $1000 on stall converter, and $1000 in a cam swap. Added up that is close to $9000, and I've only had the car since January.

However, I have to disagree with many of the posts here. I enjoy driving and adding stuff to my car. Its not like it takes up my whole life, I'm not putting a new set headers in every day. The satisfaction I get from lurking on various forums, reading up on what parts to get, and then ordering and installing them myself makes me appreciate my car even more. I only spend what I have money for.

The only regret/nervousness I have is that something is going to **** up real bad one day, and I'm going to have to rebuild the motor. That would cost too much for me at the moment, and I'd be stuck driving the old 95 lumina to school and work everyday.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pooogy
I'm 17 as well, and I'll agree, mods do add up quick. It's amazing how fast they add up. I bought my car for $6100. Roughly $800 on headers/exhaust, $1000 on stall converter, and $1000 in a cam swap. Added up that is close to $9000, and I've only had the car since January.

However, I have to disagree with many of the posts here. I enjoy driving and adding stuff to my car. Its not like it takes up my whole life, I'm not putting a new set headers in every day. The satisfaction I get from lurking on various forums, reading up on what parts to get, and then ordering and installing them myself makes me appreciate my car even more. I only spend what I have money for.

The only regret/nervousness I have is that something is going to **** up real bad one day, and I'm going to have to rebuild the motor. That would cost too much for me at the moment, and I'd be stuck driving the old 95 lumina to school and work everyday.
I FEEL THE EXACT SAME WAY

great comment!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Im 19 and i got my bird when i was 17. First thing i will start off saying. If your young and can only afford one vehicle PLEASE dont make it an lt1 car...its inefficient, high insurance and above all im tired of seeing such high mileage cars go for nothing because some kid used it as a daily beater.

step one...work your *** off and buy a daily beater and park the nice car (im very partial to rock crawling even over street driving so i have a 93' 4 runner on 37"tsl's with a dana 44 front that i drive daily) but my suggestions are old toyota pickups or rangers etc..can be had for under $1000

Step two...Putting a bb in your car is crazy talk. Even stroking it is not very smart. If you want to make your car real nice you dont need any of that. Spend money on things like suspension, tires, and make it look perfect in and out.

Its going to take alot of work but this is the route i took and i couldn't be happier. (unless of course i won the lottery and bought a turbo'd gto)
Just find a better job and work your *** off...I am either at work or school from 8:30 in the morning to 9:30 at night 4 days a week on the fifth i work 8-5 and i spend the weekends relaxing. or partying of course, college does that to you hahaha
Old 08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pooogy

finally someone who feels almost the exact way i do. i work hard for my money and im into cars so thats what i want to spend it on. Why in the hell do i need to spend it on girls and beer thats a great way to get you no where quick.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^yeah because yall are still 17!!! priorities first.

bbc in a lt1 fbody is an piece of engineering art not a dd imho. lt1s are fast for high school maybe too fast. trust me dude i had them same thought with my k5 blazer but on the blazer forums were all rednecks who didnt give **** for advice. listen to what the members are saying in this thread. speed = money.

you have a cool car thats all you need right now. at most do bolt ons or supporting mods for future plans.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

I do agree you are much better off putting money into the car than wasting it on girls and alcohol. But it would be even better in a savings account. Best thing I ever did was save up money so I could pay for college without any student loans. Then I saved up and had a good down payment on a house just 2 years after graduating college. Then when I sold my first house I made $75K! I could have paid CASH for a new Z06. Think about that. Unfortunately cars are a bad investment. Real estate is still a good investment.

Last edited by Sunset01SS; 08-21-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Launching!

As a parent, and at one time a young man in HS I know first hand what young dudes do. As for the OP, I think your interest in cars rather than girls and beer is commendable. If you take the time to research the lives of a lot of the "famous" car guys, you'll see that at 16+ they spent all their time on cars. The latest issue of HotRod I believe has an article about TV Tommy Ivo. read that, You have your whole life ahead of you, and you need to prepare yourself for your future by getting a good education so you can mod the heck out of any of your cars, and starting now surely won't hurt. Just pay real close attention to what people on forums say. You'll learn who knows what they are talking about and who the cut-n-paste experts are real fast.
On a side note, I'm 55, spent all my HS years working on cars, got married at 21, had (wife had) 2 good kids, put myself thru college working 60 hrs a week, became a MI state licensed electrician, house is paid for, NO bills, and as I look back on my HS years, I didn't miss a thing playing with cars instead of partying.
Good Luck to you and keep truckin'