LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

carburated lt1 ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There are a lot more LT5s out there than running Dominion heads.
heh I know that Cap. But if I was even an idiot, I'd know that I had an LT5 and not an LT1.

Originally Posted by strokedz383
It has been proven that if it is a race car and streetabilty is not a concern carbs still make more power in all the tests I've seen. Hot rob did a 6.0L put a carb on the fuel injected single plain and gained 15hp or so. There are other test that I've seen the same results.
Well running a much better intake is a different story, but what if he had run an FI system on that intake instead of comparing it to the stock FI setup? What makes me want FI over Card is all in how the fuel gets to where it's going. The carb's dump it in, and while they spray much better than before, the atomization of the injector is still much better since it's spraying fuel x8 instead of x4.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not go the happy/ obvious route single plane?
Old 08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone on this site have an old zr1 I'd love to hear some owner tales and see some time slips
Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I second that, nevermind slips I would just like to hear one of those suckers run
Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Magazines are HORRIBLE sources for information.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:00 PM
Banned

This is a qoute off of another site. Enjoy

UNDER THE SCOOP

Carburetion Vs. Injection

One of the most oft asked questions is why do carburetors make more power then EFI and why do the car manufacturers use EFI if carburetors make more power?

A few years ago we used some contacts at General Motors to verify some simple facts from some dyno data we had received from a head to head comparison.

An engine was being constructed for Comp Eliminator style racing and the program was going to be electronically fuel injected. Well the system was giving the engine shop some questionable numbers. The shop removed the EFI system and installed some of our Pro Stock carburetors on the EFI manifold top so they could quickly compare systems.

The engine responded immediately with much faster acceleration rates and a 5 percent improvement in power.

The EFI designer was brought out to the site and try as he might he could not out perform those carburetors. When the session wrapped up carburetors were king by 24 horsepower.

I've heard similar stories and similar claims when comparing systems.

So when we analyze this information it really comes down to a simple fact. Carburetors and Electronic Fuel injection are two completely different systems. They share no concepts and each has a different theory.

EFI's claim is this: I will supply sprayed droplets of fuel at the proper air to fuel ratio all the time.

Carburetors claim: I will supply a pre-emulsed froth of fuel and air into the engine at a preset ratio.

The results proved the analysis of the concepts to be correct. In this case, the carburetor was supplying the engine in question with the proper air to fuel ratio, so the EFI's advantage was gone. Remember, EFI has a computer to tune the engine. You have you. If you know how to tune you'll have the advantage. Carburetors (at the risk of sounding chauvinistic) are a man's game. Guessing rarely works. You have to know how to actually tune an engine.

Remember a carburetor is an atomization/emulsion machine. An injection system is a proper air to fuel delivery ratio machine. Two different concepts. If a carburetor can be designed to supply the perfect air to fuel ratio all the time it should consistently outperform EFI. Its design lends itself to have an unfair advantage in atomization.

Obviously adiabatic expansion is the next question on the list. So if we take a good look at the carburetor we see its not only a perfect machine for atomizing fuel, it also has another advantage. The joule-thompson effect.

Tests performed using quartz plates and infra red sensors located in the plenum area beneath an NHRA Pro-Stock engine revealed an intake manifold temperature drop on a 85 degree day of almost 20 degrees as a result of the the carburetor creating this effect.

So when your neighbor with EFI is ingesting 85 degree air, your power-plant could be ingesting 65 degree air.

That's a nice advantage.

But let's not skip over the atomization advantage. In a high end designed carburetor the fuel is emulsed to lift it. Its a controlled froth. I won't kid you, it's very difficult to control. Its much easier to build a carburetor that operates on a vacuum to ratio concept. But the fogging advantage is gone. So when a customer asks, why is this carburetor more expensive than that builders carburetor as they look basically the same. Most of it is all in the emulsion package and the time spent flowing it and tweaking it to do its job. Remember in a high emulsion design .001 of an inch is a big deal. They're difficult to balance and require sophisticated equipment that many shops have never seen. Also, don't go poking things into the metering block passages to inspect them or look around. You might just lose 10 lbs of torque.

The disadvantage of carburetors used to be restriction. I remember back 20 years ago before booster technology really took off you had to size carburetors to operate on 1-2 inches of vacuum in the plenum at the starting line. The restriction alone was probably costing these engines a 2-3 percent power loss.

Tests we performed at Sonny's racing 5 years ago showed us numbers of about .6 in the plenum and spikes of about 1.1 to 1.3 in the runner at the finish-line. That's a pretty huge decrease and just for dynos sake when we built carburetors large enough to reduce this number by on average 40 percent we saw an increase of only about 3-5 horsepower on an IHRA Pro-Stocker. SO that advantage for EFI is now also gone.

Now that these same engines can operate on as little as .5 hg of vacuum at the starting line and only 1-1.2 at the finish-line, the restriction is nil. Really it all comes down to getting the air to fuel ratio correct. If a carburetor can do that, it should win the race every time. After all, by design, it's a superior emulsion machine.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well that's a good read. So then to get the most out of your motor, you need to buy a $2K carb to get that extra 24hp?

I'm wondering what our gains would be if we lost 20ºF on IAT. I still want to outfit my intake with Peltiers to drop is far more than that.

I'm interested in a more off-the-shelf comparison.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well that's a good read. So then to get the most out of your motor, you need to buy a $2K carb to get that extra 24hp?
Very good point, this would be why I am still convinced that you dont need a carb until you run out of PCM.

Unless of course you just like/can tune carbs better, and can justify the 2k convesion cost.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fixxer99TA
Very good point, this would be why I am still convinced that you dont need a carb until you run out of PCM.

Unless of course you just like/can tune carbs better, and can justify the 2k convesion cost.
I actually meant $2K for JUST the carb I mean they're talking about "why this guy's carb is better than the next" which leads me to believe that these carbs aren't mass produced. Thats my assumption at least.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To much BS in here.......
Old 09-01-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slick1851
To much BS in here.......
Such as?

And by all means, fill us in on all this non BS knowledge you posses oh wise one!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Sorry it took so long to respond. Yes this is an LT1 with Dominion 32 valve heads. I acquired the car and motor about a month ago. This is going to be my winter project. I took a couple of pics this weekend I will post them as soon as i can. thanks for the comments
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TAHOE5.3
Sorry it took so long to respond. Yes this is an LT1 with Dominion 32 valve heads. I acquired the car and motor about a month ago. This is going to be my winter project. I took a couple of pics this weekend I will post them as soon as i can. thanks for the comments
I wonder if it's from the other gentleman who had it and never finished (or at least never updated us if it was). There's a huge thread about it if you feel like digging.

Best of luck to you though.

If you have the money, I'd say do that FI setup with the cross-ram velocity stacks that someone posted around beginning of last week. $2500 for the GM one, but is just so bad ***!!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

You are going to need a fabbed intake, injected or carbed.

Far as injection vs. carbs, lots of variables come into play, some popular injectors have a very poor spray pattern, maybe that is what they used for the test.

Carbs certainly can work wonderfully but soon as the weather changes they are no longer perfect.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

could possibly be the same car and motor combo. He never had it running and lost interest. It has a single plane intake already on it that has been converted to fit. Just so I can get this thing running for now I'll be using a Wilson throttle body. I'm gonna be changing the injectors up to something in the 96 range. I won't be able to really get into the car for about 2 months. So for now I'm just making my parts list.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
So you just made a block off plate for the opti hole?

Someone really should do a write up for this so it can be stickied
I just welded a small filler plate in to cover the hole.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slick1851

FYI the fastest bolton LT1 runs a carb, but apperantly its record doesnt count for the bolton record since its a carb.

So its the fasted, bolton carbed LT1

Your joking right? If changing your injectors, and tune count as boltons then a carb shoud also.

Who made up that rule?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

I plan to run a carb on my lt1 383 and I think a write up would help me out alot, with pics of course.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

"bolton" usually refers to untouched heads and intake. Care to share how to get a carb on the stock intake??
Old 09-03-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never heard that an intake manifold is not a bolt on. I know for a fact the fastest bolton LS1 list does not exclude intake manifold swaps. The fastest car on the list has a Fast manifold on it.

Quick Reply: carburated lt1 ???