LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

This can't be kosher..

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
I wired it via shbox's insructions, so they both come on when the switch is "on"
What year car do you have?, if its late '94 and on, both fans always run, low speed runs them both at low speed, high speed bumps them up to a higher speed.
Using shbox's instuctions you should have a 3 way switch (low speed / off / high speed).
Unless your car is early '94 and earlier in which case one fan runs on low speed, and both fans run on high speed.

Sara Lou
Old 09-17-2008, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

and that picture looks like oil and coolant mixed.

have you noticed that you are slowly burning coolant lately?

cause that sure looks like the coolant did on my car when i blew the head gasket as well.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your rad near the battery

That looks like used coolant to me.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pretyflywiteguy
I didn't take it as an insult bud, its cool I posted for help and you are doing exactly that. I appreciate any help I can get since my papi is 600 miles away.

I'm pretty sure it was coolant and it might have mixed with oil or grease when it leaked out because I just changed my radiator and fluid within 6 months ago. Opti was professionaly replaced a little over a year ago.. 1100 dollars later Won't do that again.

I just burped the valves today and tightened the bolts on the thermostat housing and one of them broke I'm going to go ahead and get a new radiator cap while i'm at the store.

this confirms that it was coolant. lol I'm paranoid about this damn car..

Hey, no problem. I actually like DexCool, even though a lot of people gripe about it. I think if you are in more of a desert climate (SoCal, Arizona, ect...) that you just mix a little more distilled water into the premixed stuff. I do that with mine, and I never run hot, and I used to have a leak. After I flushed it out a bunch of times, the dealer put DexCool in it while it was still hot I just put more distilled water once it was cool, then I let it run for a bit with the cap off to get the air bubbles out. I think Dex Cool is great because it lasts longer than the green stuff and is supposed to plug minor leaks. I would flush that bitch like 3 times though, just to make sure it is good. Just keep running distilled water, empty, fill, repeat. That should clear the gunk out. Then I would check to make sure none of the hoses are leaking, and that your radiator is in good shape. Make sure there are no holes in the resivour either.

To answer the other question about when they started using DexCool, I think GM started using DexCool in 93 or 94. Not completly sure, but I remember it was not long before my car, and I have a 95. I would have to look it up, but I think you only have to change DexCool every 20K miles or something.
What I want to know is if you can put DexCool in an older car that is not rated for it.

Last edited by FrogHawk; 09-18-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: This can't be kosher..