LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Weird LT1 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird LT1 Issue

I was driving my car (LT4 head, baby cam, A4 car) home last night, running around 60mph staying at a steady rpm, all of a sudden the car basically free revs like it was in neutral, backfires, then begins to skip, and cut out. When you touch the gas the car tries to die before it starts to attempt to pick up in RPM's, and then cuts out while trying to rev. I coasted it into a parking lot where it died. For the first 3-4 times it would crank, skip like crazy while trying to idle, then die. Then it wouldn't crank back at all, it would just turn over. After about 10 minutes it would crank back, but still idled rough, but wouldn't die until you touched the gas, or put it in gear. Had the car towed home, went down this morning and it cranked fine, idled rough for not even 10 seconds, then ran like normal. The car has done this twice, the first time it wasn't as severe and the issues stopped within 10 minutes of when they started, last night it persisted over 2 hours. The first time I just chalked it up to bad gas, but this time it just seems much worse. It has only done it at night, and only done it twice in the 3 months I've owned the car. The rest of the time the car runs perfect, never has any issues. I hadn't gotten gas in around 5 days, and still had half a tank when it happened this time. I'm clueless when it comes to these motors, as I've been a ford guy my whole life. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 03RCode
I was driving my car (LT4 head, baby cam, A4 car) home last night, running around 60mph staying at a steady rpm, all of a sudden the car basically free revs like it was in neutral, backfires, then begins to skip, and cut out. When you touch the gas the car tries to die before it starts to attempt to pick up in RPM's, and then cuts out while trying to rev. I coasted it into a parking lot where it died. For the first 3-4 times it would crank, skip like crazy while trying to idle, then die. Then it wouldn't crank back at all, it would just turn over. After about 10 minutes it would crank back, but still idled rough, but wouldn't die until you touched the gas, or put it in gear. Had the car towed home, went down this morning and it cranked fine, idled rough for not even 10 seconds, then ran like normal. The car has done this twice, the first time it wasn't as severe and the issues stopped within 10 minutes of when they started, last night it persisted over 2 hours. The first time I just chalked it up to bad gas, but this time it just seems much worse. It has only done it at night, and only done it twice in the 3 months I've owned the car. The rest of the time the car runs perfect, never has any issues. I hadn't gotten gas in around 5 days, and still had half a tank when it happened this time. I'm clueless when it comes to these motors, as I've been a ford guy my whole life. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Bad opti or ICM? Are you getting any codes (SES light)? What year is the car as more information on the vehicle would make diagnosing things much easier.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Go to your local autozone and have them scan it for codes. That might give you a clue. Even if your SES light is not currently on, there could be codes stored.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Car is a 1994, sorry forgot to mention that earlier.

The SES light came on for literally 5 seconds after the backfire, had my buddy who owns the shop the car is at check the codes and he said it didnt show any.

The opti is less than 5k miles old, so I'm hoping its not the problem.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Could be the ICM going out..
Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What confuses me guys, is that it revved up before the problems occurred. Like a gear went out in the trans.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:11 AM
Teching In

Thats what gets me. When it first happens you'd swear it was a transmission issue. IDK what its issue is.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

my car is sort of having the same problems. my car takes a while to finally start and then once it does it idles like crap for a while and then it seems to clear up. also sometimes the trans wont shift until you let off the gas or it just free revs. i am going to change my wires, are your good?
Old 10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Sorry it's been so long since my last post here, I've been extremely busy and haven't been able to get near a computer. I've been driving the car since its last issue with no problems... until yesterday. I was going about 45-50 mph and all of a sudden the car starts missing really bad. To the point that basically died after 30 seconds or so. I'm still extremely lost as to what could be causing this.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Teching In

check the engine sensor fuse in the fusebox under the hood, might not be it but ive seen it cause an lt1 to do some crazy stuff.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Teching In

i was running an lt1 car @ a local track and each time i shifted to 3rd the car would die,idle rough and then fire right back up. maybe not it but check it if u get a chance

Quick Reply: Weird LT1 Issue