LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Exhaust Leak and BLM Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak and BLM Question?

Guys,

Still chasing down my split blm issues and just wanted to ask a quick question. I recently replaced my header gaskets and retorqued all my header bolts and used stage 8 locking ones to make sure they don't go anywhere. My y-pipe collector gasets look fine but I might have a slight leak (not 100% sure) on the pass side. Question could a small leak in the collector gaskets cause a false lean? I would think not as they are past/down stream from the O2's is this correct. If not then I am going to check the pass side primary again and go over the entire header for holes. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how close they are to the 02s. I've read that even downstream leaks a certain length downstream can still trick the 02s. I was having a hell of a time with split BLMs with the stock PCM. Check your header gaskets again, I thought I didn't have any leaks and when i pulled the motor I saw some visible leaks I couldn't see from the engine bay or from below the car.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tylert14
Depends how close they are to the 02s. I've read that even downstream leaks a certain length downstream can still trick the 02s. I was having a hell of a time with split BLMs with the stock PCM. Check your header gaskets again, I thought I didn't have any leaks and when i pulled the motor I saw some visible leaks I couldn't see from the engine bay or from below the car.
Well took another look today and the O2 on the pass side (where my lean condition is) is very close to the collector flage on my JBA's (bout 1 inch away). I also see alot of soot on the bottom of the car under the collector so I think this might be my issue but I can't tell if it's old or new. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the collector gaskets and see what happens. I'll keep you posted. Anyone have any reccs on what brands to use???

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak and BLM Question?