Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone else having problems with Six Speed Inc??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
That sucks if thats the case, but like said I havent see much posted by Amber here on the site.

They have seem to go the way of the Nu-tek's of the world. Get too big and cant hold it together.
I don't think they got too big . I think they were pretending to be big and spending money they did not have . Sooner or later it catches up with you . I thought it was pretty funny when Amber said they had enough parts on the shelf to build 50 units ......
Old 10-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I don't think they got too big . I think they were pretending to be big and spending money they did not have . Sooner or later it catches up with you . I thought it was pretty funny when Amber said they had enough parts on the shelf to build 50 units ......
Well I associate them with the "GMHTP" (GM high tech Perf.)effect, they get some national exposure and then bam, you got some biz, and the work is good. Then too big for the britches.

I myself bought a Nu-tek motor, had a valve drop with in 8 months, called and Nick Norris was no where to be found.....
Old 10-29-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

With the economy slowing down like it is, I don't think we're done seeing shop closures, unfortunately. Six Speeds had a lot of overhead (shop space) and an 8 second race car (them things ain't cheap to go around and race every couple of weeks). I got kinda sideways with them when they couldn't deliver a 3-4 shift fork for weeks (perhaps the most basic rebuild item there is). I figure something had to be wrong then.

I do hope they'll get their customers taken care of, and not leave a bunch of people hanging. But, unfortunately, that kind of stuff does happen. I've seen too many internet shop implosions to list...
Old 10-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
With the economy slowing down like it is, I don't think we're done seeing shop closures, unfortunately. Six Speeds had a lot of overhead (shop space) and an 8 second race car (them things ain't cheap to go around and race every couple of weeks). I got kinda sideways with them when they couldn't deliver a 3-4 shift fork for weeks (perhaps the most basic rebuild item there is). I figure something had to be wrong then.

I do hope they'll get their customers taken care of, and not leave a bunch of people hanging. But, unfortunately, that kind of stuff does happen. I've seen too many internet shop implosions to list...
Agreed, this "hobby" depends on extra money that people have and in this part of the U.S. people are worried about making the mortgage payments, heating their homes, and feeding their families.

If I am to mod my car, I am going to have to get another part time job Sad to say.

It just sucks because I was going to use them for a GTO trans build in the future, I know Tick is awesome and will prob now get the work, since their MC kicked soooo much ***!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn they seemed like they were always answering peoples questions and seemed like a first rate company. I asked them a question over a month ago, no response. I'm assuming they are too ashamed to come back here.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wickedrx7
The former builder of Six Speeds is now working at LMR correct. Six Speeds and LMR are in no way affiliated though.
Was Joe not the primary builder at Six Speeds?

More Performance used to be the "big time" latemodel GM shop here in NC, just down the road from us. Joe and Amber worked there for a while. It seems they haven't changed much since their days at More if there is any truth to what I have heard for years now.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

I'm one of those who are left hanging...
words cant describe how im feeling right now.
just the other week amber said "your on the top of the list your invoice is right in front on my desk"

i really dont want to be out 2,250$.... and not be able to get it back...
Old 10-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Banned

Well hopefully you will get your unit . If not I would suggest contacting the Attorney Generals office for Texas .
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Was Joe not the primary builder at Six Speeds?

More Performance used to be the "big time" latemodel GM shop here in NC, just down the road from us. Joe and Amber worked there for a while. It seems they haven't changed much since their days at More if there is any truth to what I have heard for years now.

for the last 2 years, Scott was the builder.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Been trying to get ahold of them on the phone for a while now, glad I checked on here to see if their number changed. I'm just out a pedal assembly (or the cash to buy one). So much for that warranty they offered.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

circa if you do get a trans i would have the internals checked. i have a lawyer looking into my options on what i can do if they knew they were going out of business and still took are money that is fraud and scamming im sure the district attorney can do something
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Teching In

thats what i planned, i have been good to a local trans place who does automatics but for me an my situation will check it out for free.... IF i get it.

im also looking into some legal actions in case its needed.

last time she called she said they still didnt have cores comming in...
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sucks, not as bad for me as some others because i have not spent money with them, but i did win a 25% off any rebuild of my choice with them awhile back when amber was doing her trivia game every month.. ohhh well
Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Ive had to wait 2 months for a trans from them. Even tho I was told it was shipped,. Gave me the run around, and about a month after getting my trans 3rd gear feels loose engaging. Grinds sometimes too. Im thinking about sending it in for the Viper output shaft upgrade(to someone else) soon and replacing my syncros to. I have thier pkg4A. So almost everything SHOULD be good. I was told my tramsmission I sent in was toast so I dont get core back. Which I know it was because somebody at a good shop didnt refill the tranny after reinstalling it and drove it to tune it.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

After 10 weeks of getting the run around i finally got my trans. They didnt even send me the trans that i sent them. She said my trans looked great and did a basic stage 1a rebuild. The way i understood it was they rebuild my trans and send the same one back. No way in hell id send it back to them even if it broke under warranty, Id rather pay Tick to rebuild it.
Now conway keeps sending me a bill for me to pay the freight, when i paid six speeds for the freight and trans rebuild.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow. I always thought they were resisting expansion and Amber was always waaay overloaded. 6 months ago it took me over 2 months to get parts to build a friends tranny and another friend's tranny has been torn down in my shop for 2+ months waiting on parts from them. He finally got a refund this week.
I've personally thought about an internet business of my own but feared something like this might happen to myself.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Teching In

For those of us who SSi owes money.... we should get together and see what we can do, maybe try to make this as easy for everyone as possible...
Old 10-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wickedrx7
The former builder of Six Speeds is now working at LMR correct. Six Speeds and LMR are in no way affiliated though.
I thought they were????
Old 10-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Launching!

yikes. I kind of saw this coming though, it started with that multi-page thread in the Sponsor Feedback forum. Hope you guys get all this resolved.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LT SLOW
I thought they were????
Nope, LMR has posted they are not affiliated as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone else having problems with Six Speed Inc??