Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Had a major failure yesterday, have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Had a major failure yesterday, have some questions...

The car is my 04 gto, just turned 34k miles. makes 419 rwhp/382 tq. Tranny had a new slave and master cylinder put in, new rps twin disc clutch good to 550rwhp, and had a rebuild w/ stock parts about 1500 miles ago in january of this year. Im also running a hurst shifter.

Yesterday I was on a canyon run and had been doing a fair amount of 2nd to 3rd gear shifts with no problems for roughly 30 mins driving fairly aggressive. I came up on a long straight and was cruising in fifth, rev matched into 3rd and got on it. Shifted to 4th, was going about 110-120.

While in 4th, suddenly the whole car vibrates and it made a loud noise like when you run over a cattle grate or lane dots. I had already began to coast at this point as a turn was coming up. I tried to shift and couldnt get the shifter into any gear. I pull off and stop and get the car in neutral and it stalls when I let the clutch out in neutral.

So I restart, and try again, same thing. Was able to get the car in reverse and try to back up to see if that would let the clutch disengage. It finally does, and I somehow got it into first but it wouldn't shift into second or any other gear. When I rolled forward, the tranny was making a lot of bad noises, so I stopped and got the car towed back home.

When we got it on the flat bed, the car wouldn't move w/ the shifter in neutral, I had to hop in to push the clutch in to get it to roll.

No fluid was leaking, so I assume the hydraulics are still intact. The clutch fluid is tinted brown and theres some black soot in the bottom of the resevoir.

For now the car is parked in my garage, I can't afford another rebuild right now, but I just wanted to get some opinions on what it could be.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you have some internal damage for sure. Only way to find out/and fix it is to take it apart... Sorry for the bad news man
Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

Tough to say but I would start by checking the fluid level on the transmission .