Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brown Transmission Fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrow Brown Transmission Fluid???

I have removed my transmission to replace my clutch and while draining the fluid i noticed it was brown as old oil. I had the tranny rebuild back in january of 08 so just about 10 months ago by ACE racing transmission. My question is what would they have put in there and is there anyway that it would have turned that color. You have to remeber that it was just rebuilt and has less than 3000 miles on the rebuild. Someone give me a hint here thanks
Old 11-20-2008 | 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't get too excited. If they used carbor particle blocker rings, they "shed" carbon bits that can darken the oil. A better tell-tale on the oil is the smell.Oil darkened from heat will stink pretty bad.
Old 11-20-2008 | 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta I don't remeber exactly what was used in the rebuild was supposed to be upgraded stronger parts than stock. I want to say that they did use carbon blocker rings but dont remeber its been a while. So that would cause it to darken? My tranny does grind and pop out of third gear from time to time on its own. If the carbon particles are shedding in the fluid will that hurt the tranny at all? I will be putting new fluid in the tranny when I install the new clutch, what would be the best fluid to put in there. Thanks for all the help
Old 11-20-2008 | 07:14 PM
Banned

Could be material from the rings or it could simply be they did a poor job cleaning the parts and they have left over oil on the gears or in little areas of the case . They could have also not have cleaned the magnets very well and the "crap" on them discolored the oil .
Old 11-20-2008 | 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

syncromesh is brownish.....
Old 11-20-2008 | 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FasTimeSS
I gotta I don't remeber exactly what was used in the rebuild was supposed to be upgraded stronger parts than stock. I want to say that they did use carbon blocker rings but dont remeber its been a while. So that would cause it to darken? My tranny does grind and pop out of third gear from time to time on its own. If the carbon particles are shedding in the fluid will that hurt the tranny at all? I will be putting new fluid in the tranny when I install the new clutch, what would be the best fluid to put in there. Thanks for all the help
Your fluid is brown and your tranny grinds and pops out of gear. This tranny was rebuilt this year? The grinding and popping out of gear suggests damaged internal parts. The brown fluid tends to support internal damage. If I were you, I'd take it back to the place that did the work and tell them what's going on. How has the car been used?
Old 11-21-2008 | 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hadn't taken it back to him or actually even talked to him. I was going to have Jason at TDP rebuild it soon. I think that he may put synchromesh in the trans just dont recall. What would be the best tranny fluid to put into it based on the info here thanks Trevor
Old 11-21-2008 | 07:50 AM
Banned

Why would you take it somewhere else if its only got 3000 miles on it since a rebuild ? What type of warranty does Ace offer on their rebuilds ?
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

only a 3 month warranty. I tried to get into contact with gilbert at ace but he seems to be banned so I haven't even talked to him yet