Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 Flywheel shim question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Flywheel shim question

hey guys i've got a question regarding the need for a flywheel shim behind the flywheel on my car

i'm replacing the clutch and i had .011" taken off the flywheel in order to clean it up, however when i bought this car 60,000 miles ago the guy i bought it from said a new clutch had been installed. If this is true (which im sure it is since the car now has 117,000 on it and i bought it with 60,000) then i would assume there is now a total of close to .025" taken off the stock flywheel

would it be wise to get a .025" shim for behind the flywheel or wont it be needed?

with the previous clutch (before it blew to smithereens) it would begin to engage with the pedal about half way up and wouldn't really bite hard til the very end, but the clutch was definitely quite worn

any insight you guys could give me keep in mind this is a LT1
i would hate to get it back together and figure out i made the wrong decision for whether or not to install a simple shim

thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It is not needed. On the pull clutch setup, the fork needs to properly reach the groove in the TO brg. and .025 is not going to prevent this.

Quick Reply: LT1 Flywheel shim question