Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installed Clutch...wont shift/grinds

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Clutch...wont shift/grinds

Hey guys. I just put a stock clutch back in my car. Everything went together great but is there any way you can mess up puttin the shift fork in? When I push the clutch pedal down to the floor it starts to grind...like it bottoming out, but only when its on the floor...and it's not releasing all the way either because it wont go into gear. I need advice so i can get this thing on the road for my wife...she dont like having to drive my truck. lol...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Update...pulled the clutch and pressure plate back out tonight...everything looks identical to the old one....it's just a stock clutch. The shift fork is hitting on the pressure plate....the aluminum casing and the shift forks not bent? Any ideas?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Teching In

By shift-fork are you meaning throw-out-bearing? If the clutch pedal isn't returning it has little to do with the car not going into gear, try bleeding the clutch using the bleeder screw tucked up under there once you check everything else out and get it back on. It might take an adjustable master cylinder... my buddy had his SS's transmission rebuilt, new clutch etc - when it went back in we bled that clutch maybe 30 times, and it never got any better until he got the adjustable master cyl. Installing the master cyl can be a bitch though...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

No it's the shift fork hitting the pressure plate on the outter edge. You can see where its rubbin on the aluminum on the pressure plate and there's two small marks on the back side of the shift fork. Everything in the tranny is stock, including the new clutch and pressure plate. Everything is identical and the shift fork wasn't removed. It didnt do it on the old clutch..but now on the new one with everything the same???? Got me, i'm lost.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Are you using the same flywheel with each clutch? Was the flywheel resurface before installation of the new kit? What year is your car? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you with more info. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Shift forks like to spend their time inside transmissions... if you're certain you're not referencing the throwout bearing and calling it a shift fork I suggest you have your transmission rebuilt. lol... if this isn't a T56 transmission and has an external slave cylinder I guess you could be referencing the clutch release fork...

google image search "shift fork" and then "clutch release fork" and you'll see what i'm talking about.