Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Cold shifting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cold shifting problem...

...So about 4 weeks ago I headed to the track and on my first pass I missed 3rd gear, followed by missing 2nd the next pass. On my final 2 passes I did some slower shifting and I didn't have a problem but my et suffered because of the shifts. At first I thought it was the clutch hydraulics, and after getting under the car and looking at where the feed line is, I know for a fact the clutch fluid was not boiling. After trying to do some quick shifting around town and not being able to hit gears I decided to take the penzoil synthetic atf out of the trans and put regular atf along with 1 quart of penzoil synchromech. The shift has gotten better, but on cold shifts and I can still feel some hesitation when going into 2nd gear quickly. I plan on going to the track on 12/14 and want to make sure my trans problems are behind me. I'm thinking about throwing another quart of synchromesh in the trans since it says it helps with cold shifts, anyone think that's a good idea? Btw, the car is a 99 Z28, stock hydraulics, 40K on the clutch.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJNETSFAN
...So about 4 weeks ago I headed to the track and on my first pass I missed 3rd gear, followed by missing 2nd the next pass. On my final 2 passes I did some slower shifting and I didn't have a problem but my et suffered because of the shifts. At first I thought it was the clutch hydraulics, and after getting under the car and looking at where the feed line is, I know for a fact the clutch fluid was not boiling. After trying to do some quick shifting around town and not being able to hit gears I decided to take the penzoil synthetic atf out of the trans and put regular atf along with 1 quart of penzoil synchromech. The shift has gotten better, but on cold shifts and I can still feel some hesitation when going into 2nd gear quickly. I plan on going to the track on 12/14 and want to make sure my trans problems are behind me. I'm thinking about throwing another quart of synchromesh in the trans since it says it helps with cold shifts, anyone think that's a good idea? Btw, the car is a 99 Z28, stock hydraulics, 40K on the clutch.
I'm not the most knowledgeable of the bunch, but it may be your STOCK hydraulics. I would look into upgrading the hydraulic system. GM Slave, Tick master. First try bleeding it though.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aetos
I'm not the most knowledgeable of the bunch, but it may be your STOCK hydraulics. I would look into upgrading the hydraulic system. GM Slave, Tick master. First try bleeding it though.
Yea, I still think it may be the clutch hydraulics, but I went to the track back in the summer heat and never had a problem. I also did the thing where you push the clutch in and rev it to like 5K and the car did not move so I know the clutch disengages fully most of the time. I plan on doing the 02 slave and tick master cylinder after I get some money. I tried bleeding the clutch, but was worried about dropping tools in the bell housing so I stopped and just changed the fluid in the reservoir.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I still think it may be the clutch hydraulics, but I went to the track back in the summer heat and never had a problem. I also did the thing where you push the clutch in and rev it to like 5K and the car did not move so I know the clutch disengages fully most of the time. I plan on doing the 02 slave and tick master cylinder after I get some money. I tried bleeding the clutch, but was worried about dropping tools in the bell housing so I stopped and just changed the fluid in the reservoir.
Try finding a VERY flat surface and rev to like 5.5k - 6k..... my car didn't start rolling VERY VERY slowly until around atleast 5.5k
Old 12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Aetos
Try finding a VERY flat surface and rev to like 5.5k - 6k..... my car didn't start rolling VERY VERY slowly until around atleast 5.5k
I've done that and like you said around 5500 I almost felt like a little nudge in the car, but it still stayed pretty much in the same spot.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrong Thread
Old 12-08-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

I've done that and like you said around 5500 I almost felt like a little nudge in the car, but it still stayed pretty much in the same spot.
If you keep it at around 5.5k does the car creep forward? even very very slowly. Any movement would indicate the clutch is not fully disengaging.