Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange happenings with 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange happenings with 1st gear

Today I was driving around and after inadvertently chirping the tires on rain soaked road, I got a grinding sound going into first gear. It only happened about 3 or so times that I was trying to shift to first but each time, it took more than the regularly required effort to get it in. When it would grind, I would return it to neutral, let out the clutch pedal, then redepress it and put it into gear. Towards the end of my trip, it stopped doing it but I'm still wondering what the hell it was about. It's only got 58500 miles on it so I wouldn't think the synchros would be going that early would they? The clutch has about 30000 miles on it but still operates fine. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be a coincidence that it happened when you were driving on the wet road, or you could have heated the fluid in the clutch line enough to have a transient problem until it cooled.. Try doing a good long bleed on the clutch fluid and keep an eye on it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Launching!

I think I've figured out the source of the problem. I took it for a spin about 30 minutes after I parked it and noticed that it only did it when I would try to shift from 3rd to 1st or from any gear over 2nd for that matter with any kind of speed over I'd say 20 mph. I would still keep the clutch pedal pressed but still put it in 1st to be there for a quick takeoff. I think someone described it as the input shaft or something having to catch up or something because the tranny is still turning fast as **** even with the clutch disengaged. I normally don't put it in first when coming to a stop, just let it coast in neutral. But for some reason today put it in 1st. I think I've figured it out but I'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a blocker ring...
Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ttranssam
sounds like a blocker ring...
Expensive fix?

Quick Reply: Strange happenings with 1st gear