Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch suddenly will not disengage, changed master and slave, didnt work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch suddenly will not disengage, changed master and slave, didnt work.

Odd problem

Has a spec clutch thats been in for about 10,000 miles with no problems. Stock original master/slave (car only has 30k on it)

Was driving the car, the car (2000 SS) was getting harder and harder to get into the gears then suddenly went to put it in gear and it wouldnt go into any gear at all.

Then after the car sat awhile clutch worked fine again for about a mile then would quit. Its random.

Shut the car off, put it in 1st and started it and the clutch wouldnt disengage at all. So I thought "crap" slave or master failed.

So I changed the slave/throwout, bled it, didnt fix it. Pulled clutch and found broken spring on clutch disc.

Last edited by SoCalSpd; 01-03-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use a shim when you installed the clutch? Also did you pull the clutch and inspect it when you replaced the slave?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 AM
10 Second Club

does the pedal feel different at times? i have seen a few pressure plates come loose
Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brad8266
Did you use a shim when you installed the clutch? Also did you pull the clutch and inspect it when you replaced the slave?
I didnt do the clutch install on it, it was done before I owned the car but it has been in for years without any type of problem with the clutch in the past. This happened all at once and comes and goes.

I had one of my guys pull the tranny and install the slave/master when I away on business and he didnt pull the clutch off and inspect. (because i had only told him to replace master/slave)
Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
does the pedal feel different at times? i have seen a few pressure plates come loose

No, it has great pedal pressure (never changed, very solid) and doesnt disengage the clutch.

Which makes me think its pushing pressure properly to disengage the clutch.

My next move will be pull the tranny and inspect clutch/flywheel/pilot bearing and also push in clutch with slave hooked up with tranny out and see if it operates correctly.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.

when you pull the clutch if yo have a press to throw it on you could check function that way.

g'luck with it.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
FormerVendor

Found it. Tore it down yesterday and spring was broken on the clutch disc. Swapped out the clutch disc and good as new

Quick Reply: Clutch suddenly will not disengage, changed master and slave, didnt work.