Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Surface rust on flywheel & pressure plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Surface rust on flywheel & pressure plate

Well, i think i may have a problem here. I bought an x-grip from textralia a couple of years back and i never got around to installing it, basically because i never REALLY needed it.

When i was off at school for the semester my mom took it out of my old room and put it in our shop. I just recently took a look at it and it has developed some surface rust on both sides of the flywheel and some surface rust on the pressure plate.

I am just wondering if i should be overly concerned with any of this? mainly the pressure plate surface rust. And what can be done about this short of buying a new set-up
Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shouldn't be a problem unless its heavily pitted. if its light leave it, or knock it off with a scotch brite pad.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

i was thinking it would probably just 'rub' off within a few miles. but i really dont want to get the clutch in and have to rip it all apart again because it doesn't want to engage/disengage
Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just like a disc brake, cleaning the surface before install is important to get a proper install and maximize the life of the item. With that said, wash your car and let it sit and you'll see that the disc brakes develop a surface layer of rust within minutes. As long as the surface is still flat, and it's simply a surface layer of rust, you're fine using it.

Just like stated, I'd grab some brake cleaner and some 0000 steel wool and give it a good gentle wipe down and then take a look and see what you have. IMO, you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:37 PM
On The Tree

thanks fellas. i emailed jarrod at textralia and he said id probable be fine doing a light cut on it and not disturb the balancing. so ill give her hell

Quick Reply: Surface rust on flywheel & pressure plate