Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

So, is there any possible scenario where my T56 gets stuck in gear...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question So, is there any possible scenario where my T56 gets stuck in gear...

But, I only have clutch problems, no tranny problems?

This has only happened to me twice in a fifteen-month period, and both times after turning the engine off, it eventually freed-up and behaved 100% normally for months, but still. If I've got ANY tranny problems whatsoever, I'm considering going with the 700-hp. upgrade from LMR here in Houston, as well as replacing the clutch and hyrdraulic system as well.

For obvious reasons, I'd rather not tear into the tranny to find out what's wrong with it, that's why I am asking if it's at least possible that it's only the clutch that caused this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what is the car/engine/trans doing when it gets stuck? Driving/Traffic-light/shifting/etc.?

It's very possible (as one thing) for the clutch fluid to heat up and cause issues like that.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Both times it was in-traffic driving, first time heavy-traffic, second time moderate-traffic but after 30 or so highway miles, and I think both times it was first gear. First gear not normally being a gear that we experience problems with. What do you think?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

First gear issues are almost always clutch/hydraulic issues...
Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Sweet. So, it is at least possible that I don't have any transmission problems?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

Agreed , most of the time 1st gear issues like you described are clutch related .
Old 01-14-2009, 07:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

It is very possible that you have hydraulic issues, but you have to get those sorted out very fast. Hydraulic problems are the cause of most tranny failures.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

Let me run this by you guys while we're talking about it because I didn't get a lot of help in another forum.

What could cause an increase in normal transmission operation noise? Nothing sounds out of the ordinary at all, but it seems like the normal noise is louder recently. I do have a Pro 5.0 shifter, and there was an increase in noise when I installed that, but I've had the shifter for nearly two years, and I just recently noticed another increase in volume.

There is also a very faint rattling/chattering noise at idle. When I disengage the clutch, it goes away.

I'm trying to pin down a problem here, so any help you guys can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RAGEman; 01-14-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: changed some wording for more clarity
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

I had an almost identical problem in my LT1 car. it seems that the trans had a slow leak, and the fluid level was VERY low, thus when on the highway for extended periods, it would get really hot and not want to come out of gear. I topped up the fluid and the problem disappeared.

Good luck
SoCal TA
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 621 Likes on 491 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by RAGEman

There is also a very faint rattling/chattering noise at idle. When I disengage the clutch, it goes away.
That is your throwout bearing. Get a new slave cylinder and it'll cure the problem (it did in mine)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
That is your throwout bearing. Get a new slave cylinder and it'll cure the problem (it did in mine)
Well, that's what I thought of, but I was told that if the rattling doesn't stop until after you've fully disengaged the clutch, it's not the TO bearing. In other words, if it were the TO bearing, you could make the noise stop merely by pushing the clutch pedal until all the slack is out, and you wouldn't have to press it all the way in.

Quick Reply: So, is there any possible scenario where my T56 gets stuck in gear...