Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

rev matching??? pls respnd...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rev matching??? pls respnd...

i was just wondering what is the correct way of rev-matching? please let me know your opinions on it.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00TAM6
i was just wondering what is the correct way of rev-matching? please let me know your opinions on it.
The correct way is double clutch which involves

1) Press clutch in
2) Go into Neutral
3) Let Clutch out
4) Blip throttle to the new rpm where the lower gear will be at
5) Clutch in
6) Downshift to lower gear
7) Clutch out

If done correctly you should get a very smooth shift, but all this should be done in the blink of an eye

There is also a "easier" way, which isn't as forgiving to your drivetrain, but you will still get a smooth shift.

1) Press clutch in
2) Blip throttle to the new rpm where the lower gear will be at
3) Downshift to lower gear
4) Clutch out

From my research, the second method is alright to use when daily driving keeping rpms low >2-3k and just want to go to a lower gear for a bit more power. If you're doing a massive downshift(5-2) to get some serious power(a ricer tries to blow by you on the highway) you need to do the first method.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Aetos
If you're doing a massive downshift(5-2) to get some serious power(a ricer tries to blow by you on the highway) you need to do the first method.
LMAO. But I don't EXACTLY see how putting it in neutral first provides THAT much benefit
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
LMAO. But I don't EXACTLY see how putting it in neutral first provides THAT much benefit

You should do some research before you laugh. Going into neutral and letting the clutch out reconnects the engine to the transmission which will make both spin when you blip the throttle. If you rev with the clutch in you are only spinning the engine side meaning you are not correctly matching both spinning components, just the engine side. For bigger shifts there is gonna be a larger inconsistancy in the turning rate between the transmission and engine leading to more wear if not revved with the car in neutral and clutch out.

Atleast this is what I have learned from asking and reading various forums.

Anybody care to comment?
Old 01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow, i feel dumb. lol i always thought rev matching was what i did on my limping trans. i used to clutch in, go to N and let the rpms drop to about 1k and then gently slide it into gear and my hurt synchros wouldnt grind.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Its easier on the blocker rings if you match rpms of to the gear you want. Rev matching with the clutch in only brings the engine up to speed not the input side of the trans. Now your relying on the blocker rings to match the input shaft speed to the output shaft speed (added wear). Now if you go into N with the clutch out then rev the engine your bringing the input shaft speed up with the engine. Now the input shaft speed is alot closer to the output speed for the gear your goin into making for a much smoother shift, (earlier example 5-2 downshift).

Quick Reply: rev matching??? pls respnd...