Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of reverse leading to not being able to put it in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping out of reverse leading to not being able to put it in gear?

Yesterday I was parked on a hill upward. We all know LT1 ebrakes suck, so I put it in reverse to park with the ebrake also. As I let off the brake it started to roll back and make a tick tick tick tick tick as it was rolling back. So i tried another gear and it stopped rolling, put it back in reverse and it stopped rolling. So I just left it in 2nd and got out. As I was leaving that night it would not go into reverse until after I went through each other gear like 2-3 times. Today driving it was VERY notchy getting into gear, and as I parked my car it went into gear one time and never again to any gear after that before I went into work.

Sometimes the reverse has to be put into gear twice in order for it to fully actuate, like if I put it in gear only once and try and back out I just hear and grind most of the time. I was thinking maybe my master or slave cylinder might have gone out again, which I will check those all later tonight, but my clutch fluid level is fine so it's not leaking.

I've always had a slightly notchy feeling transmission. And sometimes just cruising normally it pops out of 3rd gear, and only that gear, at random. If it's time for a rebuild, what kind of price am I looking at for a basic rebuild just to make it nice, smooth, and firm again, not really interested in a "high-performance" rebuild right now. And what is the most probable part at fault here?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Reverse is notorious for synchro tooth wear, because of the bronze blocker. Check with Tick or one of the sponsors for rebuild costs/specials, but it sounds like you need a new Rev Synchro and possibly the rev gear if the engagment teeth are shot.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

I would say that doesn't explain why it wouldn't go into any gear at all after I parked today, but again I have not checked my hydraulic cylinders yet.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry if I missed that part of the story.. If you can't get into any gear when the engine's running, but can when the engine is off, then something has let go with your clutch or hydraulics..

But it sounds like your Rev is still starting to go, regardless..
Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hollo:

We offer a synchro rebuild kit $199 that will upgrade your trans. to carbon fibre blocker rings (except reverse). You might want to download the shop manual from our website and rebuild it yourself. Sounds like your clutch may not be disengaging which can damage synchros. Tne best way to eliminate reverse synchro damage is to shift into reverse with the engine off.

Don @ D&D Performance

Quick Reply: Popping out of reverse leading to not being able to put it in gear?