Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3 ... few Qs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 ... few Qs?

Ok, I toasted the clutch in my 99 Vette this weekend. Car is mostly stock with a 150shot. I am planning on getting a spec stage 3 (had bad experiences with adj. masters, so thats why I chose this clutch). A few questions. One, I know I need to get an updated slave clyinder. But do I need to get a new master as well? Also, should I go ahead and do the drill-out mod on either of these? Also, which disk material should I get. The car is stock geared, and is daily driven. I have had a Cartek before (in my Camaro) and that clutch didn't bother me. I'm thinking maybe Carbon is the way to go. Also, do I need to get a new flywheel, or will my stock one work ok?

Thx in advance.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Spec 3 ... few Qs?

I believe the slave is the thing that has changed and the master cylinder is the same from 93 on. Might want to verify that but I used a "LS1" MC on my 93 LT1 car.

Spec now has the Xpad which I was told is a combo between ceramic and carbon. I installed it late last week and have got 50 miles on it. I'm in the break in period and it chatters quite a bit but it is supposed to subside after 500 miles. I also got the new Spec Billet flywheel just a great deal for all of it! The stock one will work but if your going to do it might as well do it right I had the stock flywheel resurfaced on my Mcloed single disk and I'm pretty sure that helped in its eary demise!

Drill out mod I don't personally do but my car is more driver than racer and I've read pros and cons on it. I'd do a search on this and other boards...
Old 10-07-2003, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Spec 3 ... few Qs?

When I put in my SPEC III ceramic, I replaced the stock master, slave, and went with a new SPEC flywheel as well. This was my third clutch and I figured I'd do it right for a change this time. Both the master and slave have been updated since my '98 came out, so that's the reason I replaced them both. I also did the drill out mod, and it's worked great for me. I'm sure you've experienced how the stock peddle goes soft and hangs up after a couple hard runs - well no more of that now, I can beat on it as much as I want (and I have *L*), and no such problems whatsoever.

As for clutch material, I went with the ceramic for it's slighty better holding ability than carbon. Carbon will, again supposedly, wear better though.

All in all, I have nothing but good to say for my SPEC setup - it's been rode hard and put away wet many times this year, and hasn't complained once.