Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trouble bleeding slave(I have read sticky)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation trouble bleeding slave(I have read sticky)

Bled slave per sticky instructions. I still have no clutch petal. Someone at work told me that the problem is that the car has to be level, is this true? He said the way gm built the slave will not allow the fluid to flow too the top of the cylinder. I have my car jacked up so I can work on it. Is this my problem or something else? He also said I need to bleed my master, I never heard of this. Any help would be appreciated
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you replace on the car? If you put a new master cylinder and did not bench bleed it, then it can be really difficult to get it to "pump up". I personally find the bleeder to be a real PITA, so I don't use it. Jack the car up as high as you can in the front with the rear on the ground and pump the clutch slowly with the lid off the fluid reservoir until the air is out. The air bubbles will rise to surface with the lid opened up. I have used this method every time I've bled my clutch and it works great.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem after I replaced my slave. I tried the mityvac trick, pulling the air out through the master cyl reservoir hole with a mityvac hand vacuum pump & bled the system in 5 minutes. Do a search on it, thats how I found out about it. It worked so well, I would never use the bleeder on the slave & do it that way again.