Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch problem at the track -spec 3-

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch problem at the track -spec 3-

Hey guys, I'm having problems shifting gears at the track. The transmission shifts great on a daily basis, even at WOT; but at the track, right after I get out of the water box after worming up the tires, it gets really hard to shift gears, as soon as I come back from a ¼ mile run, and let the car cool down for a few minutes, the tranny gets back to normal and the car shifts fine again.

The clutch was installed 2,000 miles ago, and I drove the car soft for about 1000 miles. I went with the stage 3 clutch since it was the same clutch I had before and liked the way it performed.

Any ideals on what could be wrong?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have the any other mods? Heat could be getting to the clutch fluild? Clutch may not be disengaging all the way?
Old 02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RsSean
Do you have the any other mods? Heat could be getting to the clutch fluild? Clutch may not be disengaging all the way?
cam, tstat, headers, 4.10 gears.... I was thinking the same... went with the Shell Advance Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT 5, I'll test the car next week at the track...

Last edited by Carlos_Garza; 02-07-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 AM
TECH Resident

you need the tick master
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
FormerVendor

Did you do the drill mod on the line from the master cylinder? If no this could be related to a fluid restriction. Just a thought. Let me know what you see at the track next time and we can go from that point forward. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Did you do the drill mod on the line from the master cylinder? If no this could be related to a fluid restriction. Just a thought. Let me know what you see at the track next time and we can go from that point forward. Thanks!
yes, we did the drill mod, a long time ago... this is driving me crazy!!! I'm building a 480 rwhp engine and my tranny is not up to par...
Old 02-11-2009, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Because it works so well in normal use and then the issue only arises at the track after the car gets hot...I can't help but think you are boiling the fluid. Check the fluid for discoloration and let me know what you find. Also, make sure the lines are routed behind the heat sheild as they pass the header. You can also wrap the lines with a insulating wrap to help reduce the potential for boiling. I personally use Motul RBF600 and have been very happy with it. Let me know what else you find and I will continue to assist as needed. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Because it works so well in normal use and then the issue only arises at the track after the car gets hot...I can't help but think you are boiling the fluid. Check the fluid for discoloration and let me know what you find. Also, make sure the lines are routed behind the heat sheild as they pass the header. You can also wrap the lines with a insulating wrap to help reduce the potential for boiling. I personally use Motul RBF600 and have been very happy with it. Let me know what else you find and I will continue to assist as needed. Thanks!
I changed the liquid to DOT 4 and the problem persisted. I'll check the lines and I'll let you know.