Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 09:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..

You can come down one weekend and we can do it if you want Levi. If you have all the parts it shouldnt take more then a couple hours to do. I do want to make a better puller for that 5-6 gear though. That was the roughest part getting that 5th-6th driven gear off.

I went to the track yesterday and beat the crap out of it - 14 passes and except for me (I push the shifter way too hard to the right on the 2-3 shift and get it stuck between 3rd and 5th) it never missed a beat or made any noise at all. Never popped out of 3rd once either and I put 100 miles on the car today, it always popped out of third since the car was new so if anything that is fixed
Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, KP. I should probably just get all new syncros for all of them. Sometimes when going into 6th I only get two clicks instead of three the rpms will just rise because it's not in gear. I wonder what that is caused by.

Knoxvegas = Knoxville, correct?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:24 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If its just the 5th-6th gear blockers you need that takes almost no time at all (still have to pull off the 5th-6th gear though). All you have to do is remove the tailshaft and its right there if you want a quick fix.

Yes I'm in west Knoxville.

Shoot me an e-mail if you want to play with it one weekend. I wouldnt mind doing a couple more for practice..
Old 10-13-2003, 09:59 PM
kp
8 Second Club

btw camaroholic, I'm going to call OTC and see what the GM puller costs for the driven gear. Its just a 4 bolts and the jaw part itself. I could just use the bridge puller I already have with it and it looks like its impossible to damge the gear with it. Plus its also the puller for the speedo reluctor (shorter bolts). The tool number is J 39431-1 and here is a pic. I dont know if you looked into what it costs but I'll call them tomorrow and see..

Old 10-14-2003, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

kp, let us know how much it is
Old 10-14-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone with the Snap On version, I'm trying to buy it from him right now. Supposedly costs about $260 from Snap On for the complete puller assembly.

-Andrew
Old 10-14-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I bet this unit would work, eh? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting

Old 10-14-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

What's the maximum reach needed for the gear puller?
Old 10-14-2003, 01:55 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Thats one heck of a puller assortment

The GM/OTC one with the bolts was 90.00 so I just went with that, should be here in a week or so, I'll post up a pic when it gets here..
Old 10-14-2003, 01:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

What's the maximum reach needed for the gear puller?
~13"

I have a 12" (I think) snap on two jaw puller but it didnt make it.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thats one heck of a puller assortment

The GM/OTC one with the bolts was 90.00 so I just went with that
Sweet, did you get it straight from the dealer? Ya'll are giving me more confidence that I can do this myself. I can do H/C installs, gear installs, etc so I'm sure I can do this. I even have the manual (It's not that great though)
Old 10-14-2003, 02:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

http://www.spxotc.com/

Have to call them and give them the tool number. They usually just sell to dealers so it takes them a while to process the order on the phone. First it was 46.00 then there was an add-on kit that was recommended to go with it and it ended up costing 92.00 with shipping. I have no idea what the other thing is, I'll see when I get it here..
Old 10-14-2003, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.spxotc.com/

Have to call them and give them the tool number. They usually just sell to dealers so it takes them a while to process the order on the phone. First it was 46.00 then there was an add-on kit that was recommended to go with it and it ended up costing 92.00 with shipping. I have no idea what the other thing is, I'll see when I get it here..
Ok, cool so this puller, BFM, pipe of proper diameter and a set of fancy snap ring pliers like Camaroholic posted and you should be good to go, eh?
Old 10-14-2003, 02:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Pretty much thats it + you will need some regular snap ring pliers. Dont even bother with the removable tip-type, sears sells a pair of them for 20.00 (large and small) with fixed tips. You will probably have to get the 1-2 syncro hub off on a press though if you are going to be doing the 1-2 blockers/cones. I have a press here so its no big deal. I didnt do the 1-2 stuff since that was all new when the dealer did it a couple weeks ago.

One thing I noticed after looking through the GM service manual today that the tremec manual didnt mention. On each syncro sleeve there is an ID groove (you can see it on the pic I posted of the missing blocker), on the 1-2 syncro it has to face 1st gear, 3-4 has to face 3rd gear and 5-6 has to face 5th gear. I got lucky and put the 3-4 on the right way, the dealer had it on backwards. Dont know what difference it makes but thought I would mention it since a lot of people are using the tremec manual.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

One thing I noticed after looking through the GM service manual today that the tremec manual didnt mention. On each syncro sleeve there is an ID groove (you can see it on the pic I posted of the missing blocker), on the 1-2 syncro it has to face 1st gear, 3-4 has to face 3rd gear and 5-6 has to face 5th gear. I got lucky and put the 3-4 on the right way, the dealer had it on backwards. Dont know what difference it makes but thought I would mention it since a lot of people are using the tremec manual.
My manual states what you saw in the GM manual. Here's what it says:
Note the location of the ID groove on the synchronizer sleeve and reposition to orginal orientation when reassembling the unit.

It doesn't like there's much to it, IMO. It looks like you remove everything, lay it out in the same order it came off, pay attention to the ID groove keys, reinstall everything in the reverse order along with the new parts, correct?

Old 10-14-2003, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KP they didn't give you a hard time because you weren't a dealer?

Thanks for all the info/pics, this is probably the best T-56 post that I have seen as of yet.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Thats about it, if you have a damaged bearing or of you damage a bearing things get a little more complicated.

Its not that hard at all, putting the case back on and getting the shift stuff to line up was a bit of a pain but once you figure that trick its not so bad. Just dont put it the 5th/6th/reverse stuff back on until you are 100% sure the shifter mechanism is working right and the guide bolts are in..

I am no expert on T56s but i have rebuilt lencos, libertys, M22s, new process, g-force and most other common transmissions over the years so its pretty easy for me. As long as you make sure everything goes back the way it came off (I ordered a snap ring kit from D&D also) it should work fine - not that much to it..
Old 10-14-2003, 04:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

KP they didn't give you a hard time because you weren't a dealer?

Thanks for all the info/pics, this is probably the best T-56 post that I have seen as of yet.
They didnt give me a hard time but you can tell they dont sell to the public often, they kept asking me for PO numbers and service manager names (standard form probably) but they did sell it to me I guess - they gave me an order number. I have bought other tools from them over the years (ls1 flywheel holder and timing cover alignmebt tool) and they do sell them to the public.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its not that hard at all, putting the case back on and getting the shift stuff to line up was a bit of a pain but once you figure that trick its not so bad. Just dont put it the 5th/6th/reverse stuff back on until you are 100% sure the shifter mechanism is working right and the guide bolts are in..

Is there anyway you can verify the shifter mechanism is working before buttoning it up?
Old 10-14-2003, 04:30 PM
kp
8 Second Club

sure, I just used a long punch and was able to move it in and out of gear, reverse and 5-6 are a little hard to move because the rail is supported by the tailshaft. The problem I had was the guide bolt for the cam shaped selector gizmo, it has to go in the slot and I couldnt get it to center itself. I had to lay the trans down and wiggle it bck by pulling on the main shift rail with a punch. You just have to be carefull and not turn the rail too much. The other guide bolt guides the huge 5-6 lever againt the others. Its really hard to explain but once you have the case off you can see how everything works - its pretty simple but just a little tricky to get together the first time.

Quick Reply: Fresh rebuilt trans didnt work - found out why..