Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5.3 to T5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I don't know what to say. I've seen a bunch of them last. You're right though, one screw up can be all it takes. My buddy was nicer to his last t5 than the previous 12 and it lasted a year and a half, until he decided to downshift from 5th to 3rd. Kablueey.

Perhaps it died during the soft shift because the syncro ring "clutch" material was shot? Did it grind into third? Having a T5 in very good shape would make a big difference.

I think it would be fine, but I acknowledge the risk. I'm NOT using an automatic. I hate them except at the track. The other option would be a stronger 4-speed, but no OD. Need OD. Seems the next step up is a T56? But I'm NOT paying a 1000 bucks for a USED transmission that is overkill.

GM's manual transmission situation is frustating.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Ok, here is a question. Say I were to use the T5. What are the chances a factory driveshaft would work?

The T56 would probably work, as long as the motor was in near factory position, being that the T56 is similar length to the 4l60e. If the truck was auto anyway. I'm assuming the 4 cyl T5s are different external dimensions than a camaro.

If I had to get a custom DS made for the T5, whereas with a T56 I wouldn't, it would make it easier to bite the T56.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Batass
Ok, here is a question. Say I were to use the T5. What are the chances a factory driveshaft would work?

The T56 would probably work, as long as the motor was in near factory position, being that the T56 is similar length to the 4l60e. If the truck was auto anyway. I'm assuming the 4 cyl T5s are different external dimensions than a camaro.

If I had to get a custom DS made for the T5, whereas with a T56 I wouldn't, it would make it easier to bite the T56.

In all honesty a t56 IS worth the extra coin if your dead set on going manual. Also I'm assuming since you can use the same driveshaft in both a4 and t56 camaro's the driveshaft that the auto s10s with the th700 or 4l60s have would bolt up to either with little or no modification.

If you go t5 you WILL regret it the first time you bust 3rd. It's not hp it's torque that does it. The 5.3 makes enough to toast it stock. Hell I've seen crappy 305s (and I do mean shitty) bust them.

If your going cheap then a th350/400 or 4l60e is the answer.
If your going manual then the t56 is the best choice for the money.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

I still think that with easy shifting, it should be ok, but there is that chance for mistake, or I may end up wanting to put sticky tires on it. I guess its just not worth the risk. Like anything else, the motor probably won't stay stock either........sigh.

If I do the project, I'll go t56. Then I can smack away. From what I'm seeing, I should be able to pick up an LS1 T56 for less than an LT1 one. It should only end up costing me an extra 500 bucks too.

Oh yea, its got to be manual.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

T5s aren't that weak...

Thats my brothers SN 5.0 - his T5 had 130k of hard, never rebuilt miles when we put a 321rwhp 302 in it. Had 185k on it when he sold it. Street tires but plenty of clutch dumps, power shifts, street racing, etc...

I daily drove 5.0s before I got the z06... the only t5 I broke was one I ran out of fluid.

It could be the case that the GM unit is weaker, but as long as you get one from a v8 car I don't see why it would be
Old 03-18-2009, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

I thought GM's were stronger? Both the 305 and 302 in their best years made 300 ft/lbs though.

Whoa, I see this forum supports Scott's Transmission. I live a stone's throw away from that shop. Its where I got my th350. He was recommended to me by the good shop that built my short block. Kick ***.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Batass
I thought GM's were stronger? Both the 305 and 302 in their best years made 300 ft/lbs though.

Whoa, I see this forum supports Scott's Transmission. I live a stone's throw away from that shop. Its where I got my th350. He was recommended to me by the good shop that built my short block. Kick ***.

Nope the GM version was weaker for a while. Ford used the "world class" version starting in 85. Chevy didn't get on the boat till 89 or something. Soooo that means that there are only like 3 years you can get the GM v8 WC t5. You'll see a ton of 6 cylinder ones if your looking.
The main difference between the NWC and the WC is the WC has mainshaft gears riding on needle bearings & an improved syncro assembly.

Additionally way way more people got the 350 (which only came with auto) in the fbodys so there is a REAL shortage of them. To get the t5 you had to get the 5.0.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I thought GM started a similar time as the Mustang. I know the weaker one was only like 250 ft/lbs. The lowest 5.3 I've seen is 325 stock.

I was wondering why the only conversion bellhousings I saw were for the Ford T5.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I'm looking for some info on this to, but I can add a little to this thread. I have never seen a RWD Gm vehicle with a cable operated clutch.
See attached. I think they were a Monza part. Don't quote me.

The dilemna would be that it will fit a 153 tooth flywheel. While I'm not familiar with the LS* starters, I don't think the 168 is going to work without a cone-less pinion gear starter like a 1988 Vette has.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 to T5?-jam069.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Teching In

im in the process of searching for information on this same subject right now, in fact i was just about to start a t5 to 5.3 thread when i saw this one. my goal is the same, right now i have a little s10 for a dd with the 2.5 and the little metric 200 auto, both of which have over 200k and are on their way out.

i also have a 85 ss monte that currently has a 3rdgen fbody world class t5 setup in it. first id like to say, i beat this t5 behind a 400 hp 350, and ive broken 2 so far. while they are weak and will break, i BROKE them, and if you arent powershifting or launching the car it will live just fine behind a stout motor. with that being said, I WANT to be able to launch\powershift my monte, which is why i had a beefed up t56 built for it. in a few weeks the whole t5 setup (flywheel clutch bell tranny) will be out of the car for the t56, and the tranny is mint as i just rebuild it last season.

with that being said, i want to go with the 5.3 because out of every complete motor out there, i feel it really is hands down best bang for your buck, especially since im looking to build the s10 as a reliable and economical daily driving truck. im dead set on the 5.3, and im definately using my fbody t5 because its practically brand new and i own it for free.

there are a few things that havent been mentioned in this post yet, the main one being the 17 degree canter of the 3rdgen t5. the tranny is twisted, and the bell is drilled crooked, turning the tranny 17 degrees on its side towards the driver, which places the shifter mount on the twisted tailshaft straight up. with that being said, if you were to bolt the t5 to a bbc bell (it would bolt up as the bolt spacing is the same)like mentioned earlier, the shifter would have to come through the floor somewhere under the passneger seat haha. also, the s10 t5 tail cases put the shifter further forward, and are usually only 14 spline, and the 4.3 s10s didnt use t5, they used nv3500 or whatever its called, a truck tranny. so if you want a world class t5 behind a ls motor your stuck with a crooked fbody, or a very rare 4.3 astro van t5.

the 3rdgen flywheel is 10.5", so thats all the crooked bell will fit. i know the crooked bell will bolt up to the block however, minus 1 bolt or whatever, just like an auto bell (which seems popular to do.) so the only way i could see you using a fbody t5 behind a ls motor would be to use the extended pilot bushing, and a 10.5" flywheel that would bolt to a ls crank and accept a 3rdgen fbody pressure plate (if there is such an animal.), which would probly also have to be shimmed out to account for differences in bellhousing depth between gen 1 and gen 3 motors. im sure ive missed something i wanted to say, but i just wanted to bring something to the table because im going to be doing the same thing, and we can probly figure this out together.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by zombiedeth

the 3rdgen flywheel is 10.5", so thats all the crooked bell will fit. i know the crooked bell will bolt up to the block however, minus 1 bolt or whatever, just like an auto bell (which seems popular to do.) so the only way i could see you using a fbody t5 behind a ls motor would be to use the extended pilot bushing, and a 10.5" flywheel that would bolt to a ls crank and accept a 3rdgen fbody pressure plate (if there is such an animal.), which would probly also have to be shimmed out to account for differences in bellhousing depth between gen 1 and gen 3 motors. im sure ive missed something i wanted to say, but i just wanted to bring something to the table because im going to be doing the same thing, and we can probly figure this out together.
The 3rd gen f-body bell will not work with the LS engine. It will physically bolt to the block, but the problem is with the LSx flywheel. It is 168 tooth and 14" in diameter. The 3rd gen bell will not allow the use of such a large flywheel. Now we are talking about custom flywheels and then you also have to consider the starter. So the whole low buck deal goes out the window.

What about 4th gen V6 F-bodies? Didn't they use T5s? Why can't one of those be used with a big block bellhousing?

Andrew
Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 PM
Teching In

not positive, but i dont think they have 16 spline input shafts so then you would be into a custom clutch. i think a custom flywheel is gonna be the best way to go for me, cause it will really be the only thing id have to buy.

as far as a starter, ive rebuilt a few here and there and i honestly dont think it would take much to just put one together using a ls1 mounting body and motor with some kind of old small block nose and drive.

does anyone know any part numbers for a 10.5" or 11" conversion flywheel and a matching starter?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

The only reason you need the larger flywheel is for the starter right? Is there no way to adapt or modify here?

It either has to be an ls flywheel or custom. The only sbc one that will fit is weighted and externally balanced, so that won't work. The older non weighted, pre 85? Are a different bolt pattern.

I forgot about the angle, so between that and needing a bbc bellhousing, this situation sucks. The conversion bellhousings that I have seen are almost 500 bucks and only for Ford T5.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Teching In

here ya go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS1-L...Q5fAccessories

found this link over on thirdgen.org searching around. i actually found it in a thread started by the same guy who started this one haha. 400 bucks is **** if its all i need to use this tranny the way i want to, since I already have one.

unfortunately for you dude youd have to find a t5 setup realllllly cheap to make it worthwhile, because if you pay avergae price for one plus that conversion flywheel you are in t56 territory, as much as id hate to jump on the band wagon.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Pretty pricey. I don't have a T5 lying around, I'd have to buy one. Haven't found any cheap ones yet. It is probably going to end up costing me 200 bucks for one in decent shape.

200+385+a longer driveshaft. I think I can find an LS1 T56 for about 800-900 bucks. Also a stock LS1 clutch would probably be absolutely fine behind a slightly upgraded 5.3 and a vehicle that weighs 1000 lbs less.

I think this motor is gonna be awesome in an S10! With how light the truck is, I can probably afford to lose a good bit of low end, and shift up the power curve.

I imagine an LS1 intake would be a good upgrade, and maybe some 6.0 or LS6 headers? I would think they are bigger? A decent cam, tune, and gears, the thing should really fly.

Superchevy did a nice junkyard article. The motor didn't have accessories, electric water pump, and long tube headers, with an optimal collector length I'm sure. Anyhow, the motor made 357 hp, figuring the things mentioned above were worth 40hp, that's still nice.

**** I didn't even read the rest of your post until I finished writing this. I forgot about that flywheel he suggested. You're right, for me, its just not worth it. If you already have all the parts sans flywheel then...

So I'm looking for a 5.3 and T56..........I have $2000 to start this project off. Should be a really fun truck and I won't feel guilty driving it everywhere either.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7754-imp...ck-clutch.aspx

LS series T5 installation parts list:

Bellhousing casting number 3899621
Stock LS1 or LS6 flywheel, pressure plate and clutch
Pilot bearing GM part #12557583
Howe racing hydraulic throwout bearing #82870
2 short hard lines to get you out the bellhousing.
3/4" or 7/8" master cylinder
fork (pioneer PN# CF100, GM 340278 & 14066235)

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/showthread...90-Vert/page23

Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by atli126
http://www.howeracing.com/p-7754-imp...ck-clutch.aspx

LS series T5 installation parts list:

Bellhousing casting number 3899621
Stock LS1 or LS6 flywheel, pressure plate and clutch
Pilot bearing GM part #12557583
Howe racing hydraulic throwout bearing #82870
2 short hard lines to get you out the bellhousing.
3/4" or 7/8" master cylinder
fork (pioneer PN# CF100, GM 340278 & 14066235)

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/showthread...90-Vert/page23

This is a very helpful thread so I thought that I would throw this in here as well...

Keisler now has an LS motor depth 621 Bellhousing that is going for around the same price as used original bellhousings (Priced via ebay).

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/gm-par...ypage_acc.html

Just another option in getting your old school Transmission behind the LSx motors.

Quick Reply: 5.3 to T5?