Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 clutch with ls1 flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS7 clutch with ls1 flywheel?

Can you run the ls7 clutch on a ls1 flywheel? I just traded trans assemblys for a t56 and was told it had an exedy clutch with <5000 mi. on it. Once I saw it I realized it was the exedy oem stock clutch. I am going to be putting down over 400hp to the wheels and I don't think this clutch will hold up. Since the flywheel is so new can I just resurface it and bolt up a ls7 clutch disk and pressure plate?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

you have to use the LS2 flywheel with the LS7 clutch.
PM sent
Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Do most of the other aftermarket clutches work with the ls1 flywheel or do you have to buy them all as a package?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:50 PM
FormerVendor

There are a few aftermarket Aluminum flywheel offerings for use with the stock stlye LS7 pressure-plate (including one of ours which is available from a number of the board sponsors: Speed, Inc; WS6 Store; Tick Performance; LMPerformance; SpeedTweekers, Maryland Speed, etc......). Give any of these guys a call and I am sure that they will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
There are a few aftermarket Aluminum flywheel offerings for use with the stock stlye LS7 pressure-plate (including one of ours which is available from a number of the board sponsors: Speed, Inc; WS6 Store; Tick Performance; LMPerformance; SpeedTweekers, Maryland Speed, etc......). Give any of these guys a call and I am sure that they will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!!
I am wondering if I can buy a spec, centerforce, ram, etc. pressure plate and disk and use it with my almost new resurfaced flywheel, not the other way around.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poolshark021
I am wondering if I can buy a spec, centerforce, ram, etc. pressure plate and disk and use it with my almost new resurfaced flywheel, not the other way around.
I wouldn't use ANY clutch with your resurfaced flywheel.

Flywheel resurfacing used to be a good alternative to buying a new flywheel, but with the clutch setup on our cars (and other newer/performance cars) it could end up cauisng problems for you.

The stock clutch hydraulics are non-adjustable, meaning they are designed based on stock height of the PP and flywheel assembly. The slave cylinder moves relatively little compared to the master, so any change in the height of the flywheel/clutch assembly will affect the engagement point of the clutch pedal, and possible the full release of the clutch itself. This is why aftermarket clutches sometimes need slave cylinder shims, to get the correct engagement.

I'd reccommend discarding your resurfaced flywheel and just getting an LS7 clutch kit, which comes with a new LS2 flywheel, the complete package is only about $450.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have an adjustable master cylinder. I see your point though. I guess I will probably just bolt the stock one up for now and see what happens. I am not loosing anything and I can have the trans back out in an hour to change the clutch if needed.

Quick Reply: LS7 clutch with ls1 flywheel?