Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS1 Replacement vs. LS6 Part Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Replacement vs. LS6 Part Numbers

Hey guys, I did a little bit of searching and could not quite come up with the answer...

Are the P/N 12581650 (LS1 replacement) and P/N 12570806 (LS6 Corvette replacement) the same in physical dimensions, meaning the height of the Pressure plate fingers from the back of the motor?

The reason I ask is I replaced my clutch about 25K miles ago and I could never get it shift quickly (only granny-shifting/rev matching would work) unless I had been on the road in 6th gear for about a half hour and only the first press of the clutch pedal was firm.

I am now swapping my motor (dead lifter) and I am going to replace the clutch. I am also getting all new hydraulics and a Tick Performance remote bleeder.

Does the bellhousing/torque tube on the Corvette measure the same as the F-Body bellhousing/trans, so that a LS6 clutch designed for a Corvette will fit perfectly in a Fbody?

Or should I just order the LS1 (P/N 12581650) to make sure it will work well for my next few years in grad school?

The clutch doesn't have to be really strong, since I am not racing it, just the occasional on-ramp romp!

EDIT: I am going to measure the clutch, but it would be a plus if it fit without having to wait for shims to be shipped to me as this is my only transportation...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:54 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of F-bodies used to run the LS6 clutch set up. Seems the LS7 clutch set up is what everyone is running now for a OE replacement.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know they used it, the LS6 Part Number, and I used it as well, but I have had WOT shifting problems ever since installing it. I don't know if it because it needed to be shimmed or it was a hydraulic problem.

I just need to know if the height of each clutch from the back of the flywheel mount to the clutch fingers is the same...

I guess I will get the LS6 clutch and measure and just get some shims express shipped to me.