Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch for LT1 T56???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch for LT1 T56???

Hey guys, I'm kind of a new here since I have a 1st gen Camaro but I check out the site from time to time. I'm running a LT1 style T56 in it in my 1st Gen. It's a ProStreet 69 Camaro Convertible with 671 blown block. I know this is mainly an LS1 site but I found some LT1 info here also so I figured this would be the best place to get some suggestions on a clutch that will hold up the the torque of my set up. It currently slips under boost (there's a shock). Since it's a puller style clutch, there aren't tons of options that I've found. I contacted Monster after doing a search here but they don't offer anything for LT1 applications. Most others I've found are only good for about 500-550 ft lbs which ain't gonna do. The car is a street driven car, so ideally the clutch would be more street friendly. That said, I'd rather get more clutch than I need than not enough, if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by PROZ11; 02-24-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Mark

while many companies make performance single disc clutches for the LT1 my $02 is get a "twin" disc clutch set up for the kind of power you will be making.

Check McLeod, SPEC and I believe Monster is releasing one shortly but I could be wrong on that note.

Street maners should be better with a twin type...but they ain't cheap. Around $1k

from what I have seen when you get into the "stage 4,5, etc." of a performance clutch typically sprung hub discs go away and aggressive friction material is employed. All obviously to put up with high HP/TQ abuse. Things like street maners, clutch life fall lower on the list while holding power increases.

The new high HP cars (Challanger, Shelby, etc) have the twin disc type clutches.

I believe the Street Twin by Mcleod comes with flywheel and slave specific to the clutch.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Thanks for th e input, I did look into twin set up. I was just wondering if anyone here had used one or anything else that worked for them. The Mcleod kit for my car is about $1400.00 since it's a gen IV big block and would require a different, custom flywheel. Since I my flywheel, T/O bearing and hydrolics have very few miles on them I was hoping to re-use them if possible or at least the flywheel. With my current hybrid flywheel I should be able to use any LT1 clutch that doesn't require a matched flywheel. But if I can't I may just have to go with the Mcleod set up. It's looking like that may be my best option right now. Unfortinuatly it's also the most expensive. I was just wondering if there was an option where I could retain the new stuff I'm already running. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

gen 1v big block with LT1 T56...then maybe look into a "push" type clutch. I know some have gone that direction with a LT1 motor and T56. IIRC involves mating a Mcleod Slave to F-body (LT1) hydraulics and the TO bearing that goes over the T56 input shaft. Larger choice of clutches in the "push" type.

That type of set up may allow you to use existing FW, etc.

Weir may be a company to check out. keisler is another company that retro's modern tranny's into older cars, check out if they have something for your app.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Thanks again ******. Looks like I have lots of research and options to consider. I gotta come up with something before crusing season hits here in NJ. The car is no fun with the clutch slipping any time the loud pedal is pressed remotely hard.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Clutch for LT1 T56???