Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding 4th gear??? WTF? read this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grinding 4th gear??? WTF? read this.

Ok, I was driving normal, in 4th gear, I go to shift to 5th or 6th, just place the shifter over there, traffic slows a little so I go to put it back to 4th and *grind* ewwwwwww. I was like, wtf? So I went from 3rd to the side again between 5th and 6th, back to 3rd, no grind, try it again back to fourth grind. It seems like this is only hapening from 4th to the far right then back to 4th every time, never on a normal upshift tho, what's going on here???
thanks
-Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Default Re: Grinding 4th gear??? WTF? read this.

i'm having grinding going into 4th upshifting and downshifting..only 4th ..i think its a bent shift fork..If i double clutch it won't do it..so i dunno..i'm gonna be getting a spec stage 3 and steel shift forks and i'll see if things are better..good luck
Old 10-15-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was told a possible bad syncro, but wouldnt that go bad on upshifting too? I duno, i'm not familiar with these teanny's. Also, I thought about it, it's only in light rpm's that it happens...odd?
-Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason it doesn't grind on upshifting is because the revs have time to fall to the point where it will engage smoothly. If you're cruising at 2000 rpm in 4th then you go to shift, then change your mind, use the gas to bring the rpms back up to 2000 rpm before you shift back into 4th and it should be smoother. You need to get the engine turning to the rpm it will be at after you shift, before you shift. Then the synchros don't have to do anything. Hope that makes sense.

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention you have to have your clutch engaged when you match your revs. That's why it's called double clutching.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, so this is a normal occurance and I didnt f* anything up then?
thanks
-Steve
Old 10-20-2003, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

No, it's not normal, but I believe that what P Mack is trying to say is that the reaon it's not grinding on the upshift is that the transmission and engine are turning at a synchronized speed. The synchro isn't really involved in leaving a gear. However when you pull back to fourth, the engine is turning slower than it was when you pulled the shifter out of 4th, hence the grind if the synchro is bad. What he described was the method for double clutching, which is essentially performing the job of the synchro. I'd hedge my bet that you have a bad 4th synchro.
Old 10-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Launching!

I had the 4th gear grinding, which eventually led to my shifter getting stuck in 4th gear. I had the 3rd to 4th gear synchro's replaced under warranty (after I swapped out my Pro 5.0 for the stock hurst unit). I say your synchros are shot, or close to it.

Quick Reply: Grinding 4th gear??? WTF? read this.