Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifting into the wrong gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting into the wrong gear?

Hey whatsup guys? I just picked up a 97 6-speed camaro and it's always been a fear of mine to be driving a manual car and be trying to shift fast into 3'rd and miss it at hit 1st. I've heard of other cars having some sort of a stop thing for this. Do ours have any thing like that? Am I being to worried about this? (i'm not loosing sleep or anything but i've been thinking about it) Have any of you guys had this problem?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put your hand behind the shifter and push forward. The shifter will automacticlly move to the center or in the neutral position, when doing that the shifter will go right into 3rd. If you try to put it in thrid you will most likely not hit thrid.
That has worked for me..
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no stop (at least in the LS1 T56). If you're at 6800 RPM in third (or whatever gear) and accidentally pull the shifter into second (or the next lowest gear), you will hear a VERY loud bang, the tires will lockup, the engine will slam off the limiter, and if you're unlucky a lot of parts will break inside of your transmission and in your rear, not to mention you might bend pushrods, etc in the engine. I don't recommend doing this.

Not trying to scare you, but it's the reality. Get very comfortable with your car and build up the speed of your shifts (especially if power shifting) until you're where you want to be. Practice as much as possible.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I'm defiantly not planning on slamming through the gears yet, I'm going to learn the car. But thanks for teaching me that little trick about getting it into 3rd.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my license in June of 08 and my 99 was my first car and I learned to drive stick on the car. Since August I have about 50 track passes under my belt and can confidentially hit any gear I want, when I want. I think taking the car to the track really helped me with driving the car. It's the safest way to practice slamming gears, and if you can slam them, then normal driving will be even easier. I have shaved 1 full second off of my 1/4 mile time just from practice. I went from a 13.47@109mph to my best pass two weeks ago of a 12.52@113.1mph. You might wanna try it after you have driven the car a little more, but drag racing does become addicting.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

id be more worried about missing 4th and going to 2nd. i did it racing a fox body on the hwy and its a shitty feeling

Quick Reply: Shifting into the wrong gear?