Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

can't shift into reverse

Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can't shift into reverse

Well I had a new clutch set up put in about a month ago. I'm now having trouble with the car going into reverse while sitting still. It will almost have to be broken to get it in reverse sometimes. I can put it in 1st and move about a foot and then it will go in reverse. Sometimes it will not want to go into any gear while sitting still. It shifts fine while driving and the clutch pedal is good for the most part. What the heck could this be? Don't all of the fluids get changed during a clutch swap? Does this sound like a tranny problem or what? How do you check the fluid inside the actual shifter? Sorry for my ignorance but everything in the drivetrain is brand new.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you didn't do the clutch swap yourself? (Fluid changes are not part of a clutch swap, but should be)

Check for clutch drag by driving to a safe, flat surface
Put the car in 1st gear, and keep the clutch pedal pressed all the way in.
Rev up the car to 5000 rpms, and release parking and brake pedal.

If the car creeps forward, then your clutch is not fully disengaging. May just be the breakin, or you may need to shim your slave. Otherwise you may need to bleed your slave cyl again/some more.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Sounds like you didn't do the clutch swap yourself? (Fluid changes are not part of a clutch swap, but should be)

Check for clutch drag by driving to a safe, flat surface
Put the car in 1st gear, and keep the clutch pedal pressed all the way in.
Rev up the car to 5000 rpms, and release parking and brake pedal.

If the car creeps forward, then your clutch is not fully disengaging. May just be the breakin, or you may need to shim your slave. Otherwise you may need to bleed your slave cyl again/some more.
No I didn't change it myself. I don't have the tools or know how. I took it to the olny shop around DFW that works on these cars though. It almost feels like there is something under the boot cover blocking it but there is not anything under there. I do know that it was bled several times. We changed the m/c twice.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If it was only reverse, I'd say they may have left the reverse lockout connector off the solenoid, but if it happens sometimes in all the gears, it's almost always a clutch/hydraullic issue.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
If it was only reverse, I'd say they may have left the reverse lockout connector off the solenoid, but if it happens sometimes in all the gears, it's almost always a clutch/hydraullic issue.
That's what I don't understand. EVERYTHING in there is brand new and it was bled properly more than once. The pedal does release very low at the floor so maybe that's part of the problem. It might not be releasing ALL the way.I'm going to try what you suggested in your first reply tonight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can't shift into reverse