Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help, slave quick connect is leaking fluid!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, slave quick connect is leaking fluid!

OK, maybe I'm missing something, but I'm in the process of converting my 1994 Mazda RX-7 to LS1/T56 power.

Anyhow, I had to have some custom hydraulics fabbed up to accomodate a Wilwood 7/8" master cylinder, and all that seems to be fine and not leaking at all. But, at the quick connect to the slave, that's a totally different matter.

I seem to have a really small leak at the quick connect/slave interface. Nothing major, but enough to where I don't think I would want to use it in its present condition. It looks like the connect is seated, but there is some play if you wiggle the connect back and forth. I really expected it to be rigid. Any chance that there is a bad O-ring or something that is keeping me from seating the quick connect properly? Any tricks that anyone can offer.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 08:51 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help, slave quick connect is leaking fluid!

Might be a bad o-ring??

The coupler is suppost to have a little play, it will move around.

Wonder if the custom master is too much for it...?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Well, after getting the quick connect to disengage I took a look, and for the life of me I can't see anything in there. There's no obvious O-ring to replace.

Anyways, since most people suggest that it's a good idea to upgrade to the 2001+ slave, and GM parts direct has them for $83, I ordered a new one. Hoepfully that will sort out the problem.

As for the master being too much for it, I kind of doubt it. brian Hinson and a few others who have successfully completed the LS1 into the RX-7 swap are all using the same Wilwood master, so if it's good enough for them...well you get the point.

Old 10-18-2003, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the o ring is on the male end of the line.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

the o ring is on the male end of the line.
Well, that would explain the leaking then. I tried placing just your garden variety o-ring on the male, and I couldn't get the male to engage. Is the o-ring a flat fit style? Because the round O-Ring just wasn't cutting it for me.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Bringing this post back from the DEAD... Drewman and others, did you ever find out what size/kind of oring you needed? I have the exact same problem on my miata ls1 conversion, but can not get the oring from gm or any parts store. They all say they have no listing, and I need a complete master assembly!
Old 03-19-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I ended up buying the "male end of the line" from a burn car out of a junkyard and scavenging the o-ring. Cost me $4.

I took pictures of the o-ring measurements with a digital caliper, but the hard drive I was storing them on is now a doorstop. It was an odd size, and I couldn't find a source for them, or I would have stockpiled a handful.

If it were me, I'd try the junkyards. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Help, slave quick connect is leaking fluid!