Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Carnage (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 220 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro1053
and for the rest of you that just went jumping to conclusions you all know where you can go.
Yea to your mother's house..
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe i was wanting to see a case busted open none the less gl with the rebuild
Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crzytown69
hehe i was wanting to see a case busted open none the less gl with the rebuild
Haha, thanks man. That would suck having to source a new core/case.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TDP
Before ordering, give me a call. I can probably save you money! I keep this stuff in stock at all times. Here is what I recommend...
All new middle (friction) and outer rings, all new fork pads, keys and springs. Looks like you also need 2nd gear (judging by the rounded off points). You might also need a 1-2 hub/slider assembly. Let me know if I can help! My info is in my sig.

-Jason
Your web page doesn't work...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Haans249
Your web page doesn't work...
I know...I know...

Taking care of that as we speak
Old 03-16-2009, 07:56 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

Anyway, thanks for the business! I am PM'ing you the tracking number now.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

TDP,

Thankyou for a good deal and great service on a MN 12 syncro kit.

Anyone looking for T56 parts or service should contact
Texas Drivetrain Performance.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:46 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cracked ring is probly from the Tex clutch.Seen it many times on GTO's.Take a good look at the 3rd ring,I would replace it anyways since that one goes alot too.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
The cracked ring is probly from the Tex clutch.Seen it many times on GTO's.Take a good look at the 3rd ring,I would replace it anyways since that one goes alot too.
Only the Textralia clutch? Or anything that grabs like it?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TDP
Anyway, thanks for the business! I am PM'ing you the tracking number now.
Thanks, Jason!
Originally Posted by Slowhawk
3rd ring appeared to be fine. What about the Textralia makes you think it's the cause of the problem? It happened on a shift with the clutch engaged (clutch pedal to the floor). I was having clutch disengagement issues for a long time, so I have a feeling that's when most of the other damage happened (and possibly what started this issue).
Old 03-17-2009, 01:53 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by camaro1053
all of that is most likely from you not knowing how to drive. you stupid kids come on here and and buy these cars and beat the daylights out of them. and wonder why they break. ps machine your an idiot.
I know this was a joke, but there is a small amount of truth in all jokes.

I always wonder why some people break T-56's so easily? I have close to 400 passes on my stock T-56, stock, 3 different H/C setups, H/C+N2O. Launching at upwards of 7200rpm, powershifting at 7000rpm. Not to mention a long period of daily driving in typical NJ traffic, over 70K miles in total. And yet, I never had one hick up with the stock unit.

I realise that some people may say that "well you just got lucky" or "some are built better than others" but that can only go so far...

I honestly think that some people simply drive better than others, and can keep parts together better than others. I am not saying I am one of them, after all, I broke my 12-bolt 4 times, but never had an issue with the stock t-56.

I dunno... just makes me thing that maybe I agree with the joke. Either way, I am a stupid kid too.

Having said that, You can also contact Tick Shift, Joey and Jonathan are good people and always willing to help.

Good Luck!
Old 03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by WS6TransAm01

I always wonder why some people break T-56's so easily? I have close to 400 passes on my stock T-56, stock, 3 different H/C setups, H/C+N2O. Launching at upwards of 7200rpm, powershifting at 7000rpm. Not to mention a long period of daily driving in typical NJ traffic, over 70K miles in total. And yet, I never had one hick up with the stock unit.

I realise that some people may say that "well you just got lucky" or "some are built better than others" but that can only go so far...

I honestly think that some people simply drive better than others, and can keep parts together better than others. I am not saying I am one of them, after all, I broke my 12-bolt 4 times, but never had an issue with the stock t-56.

I dunno... just makes me thing that maybe I agree with the joke. Either way, I am a stupid kid too.

Having said that, You can also contact Tick Shift, Joey and Jonathan are good people and always willing to help.

Good Luck!

Drivers Ability is always a factor, Racing puts extra stress and opens it up to even further danger. I am of the feeling in most cases as long as I race my car the chance of blowing the trans every shift is prevelant.

A average driver, of average shifting ability, not racing the car should never have an issue, even with clutch fluid, any harder driving leaves a chance of hurting it.

I fully suspect at some point, that I am going to blow my unit, but im not there yet.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Good Luck!
I'll mention again, for those who may have missed it, that I have been wrestling with some serious clutch disengagement issues, especially on high RPM shifts, ever since I've purchased this car (hence all of the different driveline setups I've tried). I just received a brand new Tick master cylinder yesterday that will be going in this car along with the new rebuild. I'll also be checking the pinion angle and installing a new crossmember to relocate the torque arm off of the tail of the transmission.

I understand that if you've got someone who can't shift or is constantly missing gears, etc, that this will cause premature wear and tear on the trans internals, but I don't miss shifts with this car, I rev match, and I'm a pretty good driver (I'm not gonna say I'm the best or anything, but I do just fine). When the clutch isn't disengaging fully, it also causes premature wear and tear and if you don't resolve the issue no amount of "good driving" will prevent breaks. I was fully aware of the problem while driving it and that the breaks were bound to happen, but I got sick of letting the car sit all the time while trying to troubleshoot (I bought the car to drive it, not let it sit in the garage collecting dust).

We'll see how it goes when I get it all back together. The parts are scheduled to arrive Friday so barring any issues, I hope to have it back together and in the car Saturday night so I can test everything out Sunday (supposed to be a nice weekend!).
Old 03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I'll mention again, for those who may have missed it, that I have been wrestling with some serious clutch disengagement issues, especially on high RPM shifts, ever since I've purchased this car (hence all of the different driveline setups I've tried). I just received a brand new Tick master cylinder yesterday that will be going in this car along with the new rebuild. I'll also be checking the pinion angle and installing a new crossmember to relocate the torque arm off of the tail of the transmission.

I understand that if you've got someone who can't shift or is constantly missing gears, etc, that this will cause premature wear and tear on the trans internals, but I don't miss shifts with this car, I rev match, and I'm a pretty good driver (I'm not gonna say I'm the best or anything, but I do just fine). When the clutch isn't disengaging fully, it also causes premature wear and tear and if you don't resolve the issue no amount of "good driving" will prevent breaks. I was fully aware of the problem while driving it and that the breaks were bound to happen, but I got sick of letting the car sit all the time while trying to troubleshoot (I bought the car to drive it, not let it sit in the garage collecting dust).

We'll see how it goes when I get it all back together. The parts are scheduled to arrive Friday so barring any issues, I hope to have it back together and in the car Saturday night so I can test everything out Sunday (supposed to be a nice weekend!).
Im sorry if that came off as an insult. I was just making an observation. I know a bunch of guys who have gone through fully built transmissions like they were made out of paper.

I did not see the mention of clutch issues, that is what most likely have caused the damage inside the trans.

I guess I've just been lucky with my stock and CARTEK cluches.

Good Luck on the re-build!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Im sorry if that came off as an insult. I was just making an observation. I know a bunch of guys who have gone through fully built transmissions like they were made out of paper.

I did not see the mention of clutch issues, that is what most likely have caused the damage inside the trans.

I guess I've just been lucky with my stock and CARTEK cluches.

Good Luck on the re-build!
No problem, man. I figured you didn't see it. I wasn't trying to be a jerk either and I know exactly what you're saying. Sounds like you're lucky with that Cartek clutch. I hear good things about them. The stocker was shot on mine when I got it so I don't know how the disengagement on it was but it hasn't been right since. Hopefully all these new parts take care of the problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:06 PM

I broke my transmission because I drive like a man.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
I broke my transmission because I drive like a man.
Don't kid yourself, your were still learning
Old 03-18-2009, 07:52 AM

^Yeah, and the only way to learn is to MAN up and practice. While practicing you're bound to miss a few shifts and grind a few gears
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
^Yeah, and the only way to learn is to MAN up and practice. While practicing you're bound to miss a few shifts and grind a few gears
Hell to the YEAH!

I remember taking you out when I put the new TB on at I had a massive miss shift, grind.

Then started the High RPM shifting issue Saga, that concluded in late summer.

I do need a TQ arm mounted cross member, I picked up some extra work to pay for it. The car goes back on the road this weekend so I can get it inspected and through emissions.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
I remember taking you out when I put the new TB on at I had a massive miss shift, grind.
That's what I'm talking about! It feels like **** when you do it, but then before you know it you're trying to tone down your shifts because the roads are cold and you know it'll just blow sideways if you really throw the hammer

What happened to your torque arm mount? Someone mentioned something about it being broken or something? That BMR transmission crossmember mounted one looks like a mint piece of hardware. I was checking out the one that Joe bought.

In other news, I refilled the bottle and upped the window switch to 6400 rpms. The car pulls like bat out of hell now!

Quick Reply: Transmission Carnage (pics inside)