Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TO bearing noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TO bearing noise

can air in the hydraulic system cause the TO bearing to be loud?

i was at a red light yesterday with my car in 1st gear, and i heard a knocking noise, it was pretty loud because i heard it over my music playing, took it out of first gear, and tried to put it back in, and it wouldnt go into gear, got a little freaked out, so i let the clutch out, and pressed it back in, and it went into gear perfectly, and it drove fine ever since

does that sound like it just needs to be bled again?

its kinda funny, because i had a ton of problems last fall when it was moderately warm out, then no problems during winter, and now its spring, and a bit warmer, im having problems again

is the likely cause it just needs bled?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, well while driving today, i noticed that when im sitting still with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor, and i put it in gear my rpms will dip VERY slightly, almost not enough to notice

im still unsure if my problem is a messed up pilot bearing, or air in the hydraulics
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

try bleeding it, that might fix it
Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sadegna
try bleeding it, that might fix it
thanks.. i will bleed it with a mityvac

does anyone have some tips? i read a thread, and someone said to leave the mityvac there for ~45min and not to press the pedal down, and then there was a how-to link posted that said to pump the vacuum to 12" and have someone pump the pedal until all of the air comes out

last time i bled it, i got it to about 13" and left it there for around 5 minutes and no air bubbles came up at all, im not sure if i tried pressing the clutch in/out

i can try doing this in a few hours

im just afraid i might have messed the pilot bearing up because i had a very hard time getting the transmission back in the car, it would push in, then get stuck, for a second there i thought i had the wrong side pilot in there, and i was afraid i may have busted it or something while putting the trans back in
Old 03-19-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, well im trying to bleed it now, but there is only very very small and tiny bubbles coming up, smaller than a grain of sand, i dont think that could be causing my problem

im going to try and leave it on there (i put 12" of vacuum on it) for about 40 minutes and see what its like