Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

C5 Reverse Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009 | 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

Default C5 Reverse Issue

So here is the scenario.

2002 Z06, Spec 3+ Clutch, New Slave with a .035" shim behind it to achieve exactly .125" space between throwout bearing and clutch fingers. Tick Master installed and adjusted to the point that it would hit the factory set pedal saftey switches (clutch does let out very high). Also has there speed bleeder installed. Transmission is also a RPM Level V unit with under 2K total miles on it.

Here is the problem.

Trans shifts flawlessly through the forward gears but when you try to go to reverse it has issues.

#1. It is hard as hell to get in reverse if it goes at all.
#2. When it does go into reverse the car lurches like the clutch is not disengaged.

Now my first thought was the reverse lockout switch, but it does go into gear when its cold and randomly when its warm. Also the lurching is leading me to believe its somthing else.

I can not figure out "why" its lurching though as I KNOW the clutch is disengaging. When i set up the clutch I did it with the inspection cover off and I could watch the slave disengage it and I could spin the clutch disc freely with my finger.

Thoughts anyone????? Im out of ideas.
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

How far does it lurch? Is drivetrain loaded (sloping terrain) most of the time when you try reverse? If at a stop, you shift into 5th, then into Reverse, does it make a difference?
Old 03-20-2009 | 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah it seems that if I shift it to first, or smack it around in neutral for a while it will go. Very strange to me. I need a solution for this.

When it lurches though, it does it pretty hard.