Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Intalled new clutch today, wont disengage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intalled new clutch today, wont disengage?

So pretty much like the title says i put a brand new clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing and when i put everything back together to take it out for a test drive the clutch will not disengage. When i push it to the floor and try to put it into gear it wont go in and the car kinda inches forward. I did not think to replace the slave cylinder and i was wondering if this would cause it to do this. I told this to a couple people and they think since it was a fairly old slave cylinder and will not be able to put the required amount of pressure to disengage the new clutch...Idk any help would be greatly appreciated before i have to spend 500 dollars to take it to a real mechanic to fix it. Oh and to make things even better when i was trying to bleed the clutch line i dropped the F**cking socket into the resivour that leads down to the bellhousing, so i now i have to take it back apart anyway... FML.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Couple of questions for you before I answer you. What kind of clutch did you put in? This is a stupid one but I have to ask, did you put the clutch disk in backwards? Does your pedal have preassure to it?
Old 03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry for the late response i was out to dinner with my family, and yes the clutch has pressure to it i know what your saying how it would just flop down to the floor. Another suggestion i got was to pump the pedal for like a minute to build pressure but no dice. And its just a totally stock replacement down to everything. And im pretty sure the clutch can only go on one way?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you measure for a shim if needed. There is a sticky about how to measure on that.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

I reused the stock slave cylinder didnt bother to replace it but now im wondering if its binded up or if i just should bleed the system, or even get a new one. Im gonna have to take it back apart on monday to get that socket out anyway.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the new clutch and flywheel is normally the reason you need a shim. It is based on the clutch package. PM Joey@tickperformance that is his screen name. He has been very helpful with all my problems.

Quick Reply: Intalled new clutch today, wont disengage?