Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

hydraulic problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hydraulic problems

OK so I just installed a brand new Monster clutch, and a brand new master cylinder. The slave cylinder has about a 1000 miles on it and its a ram with a new tob, and the drill mod has been done. I have been trying to bleed this thing the traditional way and I am having absolutely no luck.

We will bleed it and the pedal will feel good, so we will put the car down and get ready for a test drive. When I start the car and go to push the clutch in it is like i have lost all pressure that I had from bleeding it. The clutch works, and it does not slip but the pedal is engaging right off the floor and doesn't start disengaging until until over half way down. You can pump the pedal while driving and it gets better for a second but goes right back to puny in a minute.

I know I have air in the system because I can pump it and it gets better. My question is what am I doing wrong while bleeding it? I am having someone pump the pedal slowly 10 times and hold it on the floor, and I quickly crack the bleeder and then close it, and they then let their foot off the pedal. We repeat these steps over and over, I have even had them pump it 10 times and hold it on the floor for a few minutes, and then crack the bleeder and close it.

Any advise would be very appreciated. I am going nuts:ban g:
Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Can anyone help?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you are bleeding it correctly but it's not holding pressure for some reason. One thing I found with my current slave, when I finish bleeding I have to tighten the bleeder really snug. If I don't I end up losing pressure within a day or so. That happened two days in a row until I snugged it down pretty tight.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like my problem. I'm on my third master cylinder, second new clutch and everything else in there is brand new. I can not keep good pressure and the pedal will stick to the floor at least once everytime I drive the car. It was bled more than once and the pedal will just not stay where it should. If EVERYTHING in there is new, wtf can it be? I have the drill mod done and a Mcleod master that flows plenty of fluid. Maybe I need to keep adjusting it or something.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you noticing any fluid leaking? If everything is tightened air tight (bleeder, fluid reservoir cap, braided line correctly plugged into the slave) and you're still losing pressure, sounds like a leak to me. Have you noticed the level of fluid in the reservoir dropping? Top it off and mark where it is on level ground after bleeding, then run your tests and check the fluid level again. If it's lower, either something isn't tight enough or you've got a leak. The braided lines have been known to leak.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

+1 Check for leaks. And what fluid are you using? Is the line touching any part of your header? After i installed my tick master i noticed that the line was touching the header and at WOT at about 5700+ rpms my fluid would boil. Swapped to Castrol SRF dot4 fluid and all problems solved!