Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission Crack Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Crack Plz help

so today upon inspection of my trans i found that i have developed a small crack in the case right at the drain plug. its about a half of an inch long or less and is leaking minimal fluid. What does everybody suggest to fix this? JB weld? Silicon? actually Repull the trans and get it welded?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyhoss93
so today upon inspection of my trans i found that i have developed a small crack in the case right at the drain plug. its about a half of an inch long or less and is leaking minimal fluid. What does everybody suggest to fix this? JB weld? Silicon? actually Repull the trans and get it welded?
Sounds like someone over tightened the plug. The plugs have tapered threads. easy does it! You can probably have it welded in the car.

Andrew
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though you can probaly have it welded in the car, just make sure you are careful....ATF is flammable. If you decide to go that route, make sure you have a fire extinguisher on hand.
But, depending on circumstances, you might want to pull it out and do it, or if teh crack is not that bad, just let it eat until you have to replace something where you need to pull teh tranny, and then weld it up. In other words, couple different ways to go about it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Crack Plz help