Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans issue

Well I was at the strip friday, laid down a new best but I think My freshly rebuilt trans is gone... It has 13 passes on it, but after 4 I was noticing problems. I would launch fine, then on 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4 If I shifted fast, it would rev to the limiter after I let the clutch out. It is not me missing shifts. I would let off the gas, then get back on it and I would hear a click and it would drive like normal, until I shifted to the next gear, then it would do the same. But if I shifted really slow, and eased the power on it, it would operate fine. Until the last run when I went to launch, something broke. The car just moved about 3 ft. And I had no gears 1-6 or reverse. Pulled the driveshaft off the rear and checked the rear (12 bolt) seems fine, went to turn the driveshaft and it spun in gear easily. Then, as I tried to remove it it was very difficult to remove, had to pry it hard to get it out, usually it slides out fairly easily. Well, dropped the trans and went to check it on the ground, shifting and grabbing the input, and tailshfat with the drive shaft, and it seems to turn fine. WTF? Then I inspeced the clutch disk, and its fine, monster level 3 (800 miles). SO im at a loss. I suppose I will just send out the trans to tick or someone else, but does anyone have any idea's?

Thanks,
Christian

Here is a vid my friend made, to show the problem, mind you he is breaking my *****, alot... And No, I wasnt "missing" all those shifts, it was the trans I assume. Hydraulics are new, tick master, gm slave, and the fluid is clean. 60's were 1.54-1.62 all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVTJvqsC65s
Old 03-29-2009, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Still sounds like a clutch and/or Hyd problem. Has the drill mod been done? Sounds like the clutch/slave is not engaging fully/fast enough.

Not too much in the trans (sans loss of fluid) would affect all the gears at the same time.)
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Still sounds like a clutch and/or Hyd problem. Has the drill mod been done? Sounds like the clutch/slave is not engaging fully/fast enough.

Not too much in the trans (sans loss of fluid) would affect all the gears at the same time.)
Did you watch the video? I cant think of any hydraulic problem in the world, that would let the car not have any forward/reverse gears, and have a snap boom sound in the car.. And, the car would not move in any gear for a day of trying, I pull the trans and it spins again, but thats just by hand. I inspected the disk, nothing is broken, it does not move twist or otherwise. I thought it might be an output shaft? Hence the reason for the ds to be extremely tough to pull out, I had a 3 ft bar on it to pry it from the trans, and 1/2 my strength...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

28 minutes to drop the trans... NICE
gotta love the trans jack!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BADD SS
Did you watch the video? I cant think of any hydraulic problem in the world, that would let the car not have any forward/reverse gears, and have a snap boom sound in the car.. And, the car would not move in any gear for a day of trying, I pull the trans and it spins again, but thats just by hand. I inspected the disk, nothing is broken, it does not move twist or otherwise. I thought it might be an output shaft? Hence the reason for the ds to be extremely tough to pull out, I had a 3 ft bar on it to pry it from the trans, and 1/2 my strength...
Just watched it.. If the driveshaft was that hard, it's probable that you've bent the output shaft / spines. If the trans was locked from turning, the clutch would have just slipped/stalled.

You'll know for sure once the trans is apart.. Hopefuly the clutch slipped enough that the input/counter didn't sheer any teeth.

Quick Reply: Trans issue