Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

To GM Synchromesh It or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've said in another thread I currently have Pennzoil Synchromesh in right now...it's been about 2 years but only around 2,000 miles. I did not notice any difference when I switched from DexIII to Synchromesh so sometime I'll probably switch back to DexIII but I'm not in a hurry to do so.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like I posted in an adjacent thread, I put in RP Sychromax and hated every second of it. I live in WA, so it can get lower than 60 degrees here Sychromax wouldn't let my car shift back into first unless I was at a stop. It gound in otherwise. It was much worse when cold though. I drained it and put in RP ATF and it shifts perfectly (it took 1-2k miles before the fluid worked it's way completely through the trans).

Overall, I'd say if you live in the southern states you'd be fine with Synchromesh, but if you live in a colder climate, I would recommend ATF....my .02
Old 01-09-2017, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Not to play devils advocate, but some of best T56 builders that run amazing 6spd times and shift harder and faster than most of us will recommend just plain ol dexIII.

That said...I just changed my fluid from Pennzoil Syncro, to Castrol DexIII and I noticed things are alittle smoother than before. This isnt a great comparison, because I just recently installed the Tick master cylinder as well. So what Im going to do, is run the Dex for awhile. See how it goes. Then im going to pump in 4 new qts of Pennzoil again. Its the only way to tell if there is a difference. I dont mind spending alittle money on an experiment...so if its better, then cool Ill stick with the Pennzoil. If it gets notchy again, Ill just dump it and toss in some new Dex.

Haha there is nothing worse than trying to figure out the best product to use, then getting 8000 different opinions.

J.
Well how did it turn out?
Old 05-19-2020, 05:54 PM

Default Tremec t56

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Re-read summit's site, Recommended for all Tremec transmissions. a T-56 is made by Tremec.

ATF is designed for Automatic Transmissions, it needs detergents because there is wear and friction meterial that floats around and hopefully the filter catches it.

The only thing the T-56 has is 2 half dollar sized magnets. This transmission is all hard parts and does not need detergent. GM found it more cost effective filling 100,000+ units with the same fluid rather then having 2 different set ups.

Think about it.
Tremec makes a t56 style transmission but the real t56 is a Borg Warner. tremecs use syncromesh. Borg Warner uses dexron 3
Old 05-20-2020, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the correct GM part# Is 88861800 for the manual transmission fluid. Which is actually just dexron 3. Now for bonus points....where can I pick that up for cheap?
Old 06-21-2020, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Just wanted to update this thread. I have a 2000 with the paper blocker rings. I've tried different combos. The best combo has been the Anti Venom mod and two quarts of synthetic Dex 3 and two quarts of regular Dex 3. That got rid of the 2nd gear crunch.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

All of these fluids work. All transmissions are also different, in both wear levels and synchro material.

Just mix/match/try new things until you get the right level of friction modifier so yours works how you like. There is no right or wrong answer.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-23-2020)

Quick Reply: To GM Synchromesh It or Not?