Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do I need a blowpproof bellhousing or will my stock one hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I need a blowpproof bellhousing or will my stock one hold

Would like to know if anyone has had a clutch explode and penetrate a stock bell housing? I have been running a stock bellhousing for several years but have always wondered how it would hold up if my clutch came apart. I usually dont turn more then 7500rpms but would still like to know if anyone has had a clutch penetrate an oem housing.

Thanks,
..RJ..

Would also like to know the differences between a t56 housing and a regular sbc housing other then the extra bolt hole.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not personally, but plenty of horror stories can be found about lucky (and unlucky) souls that have had a clutch explode.

I've been running a stock bell, but have a new McLeod LT1 bell on my spring shopping list. I just feel I've been tempting fate for too long.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 AM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Not personally, but plenty of horror stories can be found about lucky (and unlucky) souls that have had a clutch explode.

I've been running a stock bell, but have a new McLeod LT1 bell on my spring shopping list. I just feel I've been tempting fate for too long.
+1

I have seen 2 cars personaly where the clutch let go and went through the windshield... A LOT of damage.

I now have a Quick Time SFI bellhousing...
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know what it can do on an F-body...first hand unfortunately. It wont hold.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quicktime is the way to go . They are nice bellhousings and fit very well except you have to notch them sometimes with long tube headers depending on the application .
Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
CARTEK Racing

Originally Posted by thesource
Quicktime is the way to go . They are nice bellhousings and fit very well except you have to notch them sometimes with long tube headers depending on the application .
mine required no midification to fit my QTP's around it...
Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
FormerVendor

Think of a Flywheel at 7000+ RPMS like a saw. It will go through an aluminum housing without slowing down.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yeah its not overly common for them to blow but when it happens its uber scary. If your drag racing often with high RPM dumps on sticky rubber then its wise to insure your legs ( heck maybe even your life? ) by installing one. If its a street car and you keep your clutch in good repair ( meaning good quality parts and dont run it to the death ) then its unlikely you will have a problem.

That said the worst flywheel explosion I ever saw was on the street years ago on a 1-2 shift behind a 455 poncho through a super T-10 running the stock flywheel and a hays clutch. The flywheel blew apart so damn far it was unreal. A chunk blew through the wall of a Church that was WAAAAAY down the street... Not to mention the car... and the road? It probably came out in China somewhere... Luckily the driver was completely untouched but barely... Scared the ***** out of me I tell you that much
Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

At the shop that I work at here in texas I have seen the aftermath of two clutch explosions first hand. One was a stock LS1 camaro w/stock clutch doing a burnout when the clutch let go. It destroyed the bellhousing and ripped a chunk off the engine block where the trans bolts up. So this guy had to pay for his engine block to be swapped out.

The next one was an 2001 vette w/ a 402 stroker and spray w/ a spec 3+ clutch. At the 1/8 mile the pressure plate exploded and it went through the windsheild, fender, and longtube headers. And to add insult to injury it also cut through the fuel lines which caused the fuel to ignite once it touched the headers and caught the vette on fire burning the hood, wiring harness, brake booster and everything else under the hood which totaled out the car. Thankfully the guy still has his legs.

IMO this is a must have item for safety reasons, just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Do I need a blowpproof bellhousing or will my stock one hold