Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get my clutch bleed any sugestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with pulling vacuum from the master with the mitivac is that the air bubbles increase in size. It works great if you can use it on the bleeder but is very difficult to do. It certainly cant hurt if you can get some air out that way as long as you don't mess up the seals with too much vacuum.

One way that we use to get small air bubbles out of the masters on our race motorcycles is to tie a zip tie over the brake lever overnight. The pressure makes any air bubbles very small which helps them pass into the reservoir.

The same concept might be accomplished by blocking the clutch pedal down overnight with a piece of wood.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDishong
The only problem with pulling vacuum from the master with the mitivac is that the air bubbles increase in size. It works great if you can use it on the bleeder but is very difficult to do. It certainly cant hurt if you can get some air out that way as long as you don't mess up the seals with too much vacuum.

One way that we use to get small air bubbles out of the masters on our race motorcycles is to tie a zip tie over the brake lever overnight. The pressure makes any air bubbles very small which helps them pass into the reservoir.

The same concept might be accomplished by blocking the clutch pedal down overnight with a piece of wood.
i should try that since i dont have a vac. how much is a mitivac and where do u get one?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone of the big chain stores sell them. Harbor freight sells them too.
This is the one I have...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39522
Old 05-27-2009, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
What happens to your clutch system if needs bleeding? The clutch disengages(unclamps) later and doesn't fully engage(clamp). The question was about point of engagement. Removing air isn't going to change the point of engagement, but it will get rid of the mushy pedal(air being compressed). Some system have an adjustable pushrod or you could shim the master. Go over the pedal freeplay adjustment.
You must never have worked on an F-car clutch before. The engagement point of the clutch ITSELF is not affected by whether the system needs bleeding. However the clutch PEDAL will be lower at this point because it must compress the air in the line before the fluid.

To the OP...I replaced my master but it was a PAIN to get that sucker bled. In the end, I picked up a pressure bleeder and the rest is history. NO pumping that clutch pedal and it makes sure that the reservior stays full. I'm not sure, but you may be able to take the whole master/slave out and bench bleed it - but that would be a last resort.

If we assume the system is properly bled, then its possible a slightly thinner shim might also solve the problem.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gun4hire
You must never have worked on an F-car clutch before. The engagement point of the clutch ITSELF is not affected by whether the system needs bleeding. However the clutch PEDAL will be lower at this point because it must compress the air in the line before the fluid.

To the OP...I replaced my master but it was a PAIN to get that sucker bled. In the end, I picked up a pressure bleeder and the rest is history. NO pumping that clutch pedal and it makes sure that the reservior stays full. I'm not sure, but you may be able to take the whole master/slave out and bench bleed it - but that would be a last resort.

If we assume the system is properly bled, then its possible a slightly thinner shim might also solve the problem.
there is no need 4 a shim if your measurements fall in that1/16 to 1/8 area, & I don't think our cars require the shim anyway. where do u get one of thoes mitivacs at and how much are they?
Old 05-27-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

well i have a mighty vac but how do u run one of these?? where do u hook up the end of the hose? i have everything put together and read the instructions but doesnt say anything bout bleeding clutches. need some help i guess
Old 05-28-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ryans01z28
well i have a mighty vac but how do u run one of these?? where do u hook up the end of the hose? i have everything put together and read the instructions but doesnt say anything bout bleeding clutches. need some help i guess
Might want to do a search to be sure, but I believe its used to 'reverse bleed' the system. Connect a hose from the slave bleeder valve into a container filled with the fluid. Using the mityvac, open the top of the reservoir and use the mityvac to suction the fluid up through the system. once you are pulling clear fluid with no bubbles, close the bleeder and top of the reservoir. Some say that a vacuum on the system is bad tho.

The pressure bleeder I have works the opposite way (and in line with how the system pressure is applied) where it takes fluid from a container and under pressure is pushed through to the slave bleeder.

use this info at your own risk!

good luck!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i already got the system blead thanks anyway this thread is dead now i dont need help
Old 05-31-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttranssam
hahaha....dude not to **** you off or get you mad but the clutch and trans WILL have to come back out...bet ya...whats happenin is the shim....thats prolly not needed...is putting presure on the clutch. Its kind of like slipping the **** out of it. I dont care if the clutch has fifty miles on it, if the slave is over shimed youll kill the clutch...
X2
I will NOT install that shim on any spec. it closes the gap to much then usually after 1000-3000 miles the clutch wears enough the fingers move out an the slave holds preesure on them.

Quick Reply: cant get my clutch bleed any sugestions