Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pro 5.0.....Is it broke?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro 5.0.....Is it broke?

What's up. Is that white ball suppossed to be loose or able to come off the bottom of the shifter? I've obviously never taken the top of the shifter off before. In every picture I see of a pro 5.0 shifter, that cup looks snug. What kind of lubricant should I use, if any, and where? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Pro 5.0.....Is it broke?-1873-3.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can barely tell from that small picture, but I'm assuming you're talking about the white plastic shifter cup on the bottom of the shifter??

If should come on an off easily, it just sits in the shift rail inside the transmission and acts as a bushing for between the shifter ball and shift rail.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So does the bushing move with the shifter, or does the shifter move around in the bushing? I'm sorry if I'm annoying, I just want to fully understand it's purpose. I'm having notchy feeling shifts that have me digging.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acceleration junky
So does the bushing move with the shifter, or does the shifter move around in the bushing? I'm sorry if I'm annoying, I just want to fully understand it's purpose. I'm having notchy feeling shifts that have me digging.
The bushing won't cause notchy shifting, but if the shifter ball is siezed in the cup it will cause excessive resistance to shifts, and if the cup is worn or broken it will cause excessive play in the shifter, both in front/back and side to side movement.

The bushing stays put in the shift rail, and the shifter ball moves in the bushing as you move the shifter. It should fit snugly into the bushing, but not too tight.