Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hurst billet plus shifter rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hurst billet plus shifter rant

Where should I start...

I bought a hurst shifter last year around this time, installed it, everything was good for a while. Well until the shifter stick (where it attaches to the shifter) came loose. That was amusing while driving around stuck in 3rd. Thankfully I had tools to fix it. Later on I went all out and replaced the 2 bolts that attach to the shifter stick with grade 8 bolts, nuts, lock washers and locktite. Never loosed up after that.

Life was good for a while. Recently, the internal parts of the shifter started to vibrate loose, making a distinct "change rattling in a can" sound. So I contacted summit, they said it had a lifetime warranty... sooo I had another one sent to me.

Now yesterday. I got the shifter, installed it, life was good having a shifter that works. Until...

I drive the car around 50 miles with the new shifter on.. and the stick loosens up again... thankfully I was able to drive home before the stick completely detached.

I know the fix is easy but honestly... I shouldn't have to fix it. It should just work. Its not like I'm powershifting 1st to 4th every stoplight and slamming it into gear.. I'm driving it like a grandmom.

I guess its time to get those grade 8 bolts and locktite again....

Main point, if you spend the amount of money they charge for these shifters... they should not need any sort of modification to be reliable.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As to the lever mounting bolts coming loose, can't see how that's a Hurst problem. Sounds like an assembly problem. What's more concerning is the "internal parts vibrating loose." What parts came loose? My Pro 5.0 only has 2 springs & the posts that they press against, inside the shifter. What does a Hurst have internally that came loose?
Old 05-14-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1-450
As to the lever mounting bolts coming loose, can't see how that's a Hurst problem. Sounds like an assembly problem. What's more concerning is the "internal parts vibrating loose." What parts came loose? My Pro 5.0 only has 2 springs & the posts that they press against, inside the shifter. What does a Hurst have internally that came loose?
I'm not talking about the mounting points (the 4 bolts that go into the transmission). They're fine. I'm talking about where the shifter stick attaches to the shifter. As for the vibrating pieces, there are 2 metal caps on the sides of the springs that hold the shifter in place. They help hold the shifter in. For some reason on the old shifter one of them decided to loosen up and come out slightly, and just rattle a whole lot. It caused the shifter to have some slack in it that made driving annoying.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering, why didnt you just put loctite on when you installed it, especially when it happened to you before? an ounce of prevention....
Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
just wondering, why didnt you just put loctite on when you installed it, especially when it happened to you before? an ounce of prevention....
agree
Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

The shifter stick? I should have. I just thought since it was firmly attached to the shifter that it should be fine. I guess not.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
The shifter stick? I should have. I just thought since it was firmly attached to the shifter that it should be fine. I guess not.
yea seems that way but lot of vibrations there to mess plans up lol... also why grade 8? regular bolts with loctite should be fine
Old 05-14-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

yea seems that way but lot of vibrations there to mess plans up lol... also why grade 8? regular bolts with loctite should be fine
Just to be excessive. I'm just going to do what I did last time because it worked out very well.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
I'm not talking about the mounting points (the 4 bolts that go into the transmission). They're fine. I'm talking about where the shifter stick attaches to the shifter. As for the vibrating pieces, there are 2 metal caps on the sides of the springs that hold the shifter in place. They help hold the shifter in. For some reason on the old shifter one of them decided to loosen up and come out slightly, and just rattle a whole lot. It caused the shifter to have some slack in it that made driving annoying.

Externally, I was talking about where the stick attaches to the shifter, as well; gotta use loc-tite.

As to the caps, thanks for the explanation, mine has none. For this reason, couldn't understand why the rattle. I now see what you meant & understand how that can be annoying as hell. Good-luck w/ the new one. Hope there's no more trouble.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

IIRC the 'instructions" with the Hurst say to use Loctite on the 2 bolts....
Old 05-15-2009, 04:41 AM
Launching!

I'm happy with mine, sorry to say that this is user error.

I didn't know any better but I just set the shift stop bolts to wherever I felt like, and I didn't use threadlocker on the threads. WS6store stick came loose a couple of times and the bolts backed in so much that I eventually was locked out of 1st, 3rd and 5th gear but didn't have a clue why until I figured the bolts backed out.

I then put black silicone on the mating surface of the short stick and the shifter base, threadlocker on the threads of the allen bolts and used the nylon locking nuts and lock washers that came with the short stick. Then I put threadlocker on the stop bolts and backed them out. Not a peep out of the shifter at all.

My friend has an LS1 T56 RX-7 with a Pro 5.0 and he doesn't like it, but he liked my shifter.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my Billet Plus shifter in for about 9 yrs (100K miles) and never had any problems at all. I swapped a Lou's short stick on it aswell as removed 2 of the 4 centering springs. It's performance has been flawless.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1W66
I've had my Billet Plus shifter in for about 9 yrs (100K miles) and never had any problems at all. I swapped a Lou's short stick on it aswell as removed 2 of the 4 centering springs. It's performance has been flawless.
Hopefully this time its good.

I locktited my shifter stick bolts on and added a lockwasher to each. I made sure the boot was on nice and tight and ziptied it down. Hopefully it works for a while.

Quick Reply: Hurst billet plus shifter rant