Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Few questions regarding clutch nightmare!! (kinda long..)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions regarding clutch nightmare!! (kinda long..)

So after countless problems encountered i am hoping i will finally be able to solve my clutch crisis. After installing a brand new ac delco clutch kit i noticed a few oil drips from the bellhousing a few days after... this led me to pull the whole trans/clutch again just to discover an oil pan leak. Now the leak is fixed but the clutch is slipping and chattering like crazy. Im assuming that some oil must've got onto the clutch disc when the oil pan was leaking into the bell housing.

I am also skeptical about the clutch hydraulics aswell. My clutch pedal is very soft and when the clutch is not being pressed, there is about an inch or two of "play" in it. The pedal has no resistance until it is pushed in a little bit. The whole hydraulic system just doesn't feel "solid" so to speak.
Also, when i checked the clutch fluid after the install it was greyish in color and there was barely any in the reservoir. I purchased a mighty vac and attempted to suck out any air from the system and top of the reservoir. So far the level has remained constant.

So within the next week or two i plan to pull it all out again and replace all of the hydraulics( master/slave) and replace the clutch disc with a new one.
The questions i have are..

Does any of the symptoms of the hydraulics seem to be related to a faulty master or slave cylinder??
What's a good brand of clutch disc to replace the contaminated ac delco??
Any comments or similar stories will be appreciated.. i just need to get my car driving normal again!!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

buummp
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would bleed the hydraulics very well, and that should help the pedal issue. I would just replace the disc with an identical one.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

bled the system with a mighty vac.. helped a little but still play at the top of the pedal