Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

master cylinder bench bleed? how?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation master cylinder bench bleed? how?

im replacing the master on the clutch how do i bench bleed it before i put it back in? and how do i bleed the rest of the old fluid out?thanks
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

+1!!~!!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

what I do is keep the reservoir, black hose, and braided line all connected to the mc and pump it while adding fluid to the reservoir. Keep the braided line closed at the end. It will keep its self closed.

just keep adding fluid and pumping. When it is bled, you will not be able to pump it anymore. It will be solid until you plug it up to the slave cyl. Connecting it to the slave cyl opens the braided line and it makes the mc pumpable.

I'll let someone else chime in for the rest.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find for a good bench bleed, you need to treat it similar to how you'd bleed it in the car. It helps to have a vice so it can steady things and act like a extra hand.

Fill master with new fluid, press on valve with a small screwdriver at end of steel braided line while carefully aiming it into a bucket, push in master with other hand, close valve, release pedal. Don't let it suck in air by letting the reservoir run dry.

To fill up my tick master, I filled the reservoir and simply tilted the master and line all the way around until all the air bubbles went into the reservoir. Once the pedal was rock hard and could hold some vacuum with a mityvac, I installed it.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ I did just about the same thing with my McLoed Master. Instead of a vice, I had a friend help me out instead of a vice.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Would not bench bleed it, waste of time. Put it on car, and bleed it there.

I don't care what anyone says about "not having to bleed it again". To me, you do. So, put it on car, bleed it there.

How to bleed our hydraulics is a straight foward issue, but one that isdone incorrectly WAY TOO OFTEN. I just posted this up (how to properly bleed our setup) in another thread.

Quick Reply: master cylinder bench bleed? how?