Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 clutch setup, now i have clatter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls7 clutch setup, now i have clatter

On my c5z I installed a ls7 clutch.

I got the Ls7 clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, flywheels bolts, pressure plate bolts, and ls6 slave cylinder and pilot bearing replaced.

So i fired this sucker up and upon inspection i found a problem. When i press the clutch pedel into the floor i hear clutch rattle.

Clutch out(engaged in gear/neutral) - No noise
Clutch in 25% - No Noise
Clutch it 50% - No noise
Clutch in 75% - No noise
Clutch hitting the floor/firewall - RATTLE CLINK CLINK GLURRRR GLURR TAP TAP

What can be wrong? Hydraulics? Slave Cylinder? Adjustment? Regular Break in Noise? Needs shimming??

The clutch pedal is nice and springy. Does not stick and isn't soft/hard to press.

It doesn't make this noise all the time. You have a good 50/50 chance of it being quiet or loud upon pressing the pedel. Sometimes it makes the noise and then it stops if you keep the clutch in.

Any master mechanics on here?

Last edited by Dans-Z06; 06-09-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Well, SOUNDS like a TOB noise. Obviously without actually HEARING it, hard to say. But, with pedal all the way in, you hear it, hmmmm. Is it LOUD? Or very quiet/hardly audible? If LOUD, then problem. If not, possible break in noise. Who did you buy the clutch from, and you did install? If so, make sure you start documenting for the "just in case" scenario. Without hearing it, if it is a hardly audible noise, I would drive, and see if it gets better. If LOUD, I would not drive, and try and figure out first. Starter engage fine? Any problem going through gears, shifting?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, SOUNDS like a TOB noise. Obviously without actually HEARING it, hard to say. But, with pedal all the way in, you hear it, hmmmm. Is it LOUD? Or very quiet/hardly audible? If LOUD, then problem. If not, possible break in noise. Who did you buy the clutch from, and you did install? If so, make sure you start documenting for the "just in case" scenario. Without hearing it, if it is a hardly audible noise, I would drive, and see if it gets better. If LOUD, I would not drive, and try and figure out first. Starter engage fine? Any problem going through gears, shifting?
It's loud and this is a new TOB

I got everything new from GMpartshouse.com which is run by Gene Culley.
I did the install myself but this isn't my first clutch install.

I did the install. Im going to take it apart soon and see whats happening.

Starter cranks perfect. 1-2 seconds and the car fires up like a champ.

It engages 3/4's down the pedal or 1/4 from the firewall.

Heres the problem with more detail

I installed a Ls7 clutch kit w/ Ls6 slave + pilot bearing.

Everything works except upon pressing the clutch in all the way it rattles, cries, grinds, what ever you want to call it. So while pressing in the clutch pedal it's silent but once the clutch pedal pressed into the firewall it rattles. Like when the pedal is pushed in 98-100% it lets out a battle cry but during 0-98% it's normal.

The bite/engagement point is 3/4 from the top of the pedal or 1/4 from the firewall.

So to simplify.

Clutch engaged in gear/neutral (pedel is all the way up / 0% pressed) - silent
Clutch Engaged (25% pressed) - Silent
Clutch Engaged (50% pressed) - Silent
Clutch Disengaged (75% pressed) Silent
Clutch Disengaged (90% pressed) - Silent
Clutch Disengaged (100% press) - Rattle glurr glurr clink clink

It's like an on and off rattle. Sometimes in rattles for a few secouds. Sometimes it keeps going. Sometimes it doesn't rattle at all.

If i recall correctly, if the tires are spinning, and the clutch pedal is pressed in all the way it doesn't rattle. But if the tires are spinning, i have the clutch pressed in, then i hit the brakes, it rattles.
very weird. At least im getting fast dropping the drive terrain.

Actually, im just going to regard it as break-in noise because it sounds likes it's defiantly breakin alright. Ride it till you kill it. Then think about it.

Last edited by Dans-Z06; 06-09-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Hmmmm, ok....drivng down the road, push in clutch, noise NOT there, BUT, under same scenario, and you hit the brakes, and the moise IS there? Now, THAT is weird. I mean, there are so many different possibilities, but so many of em are unlikely. Did you change out the pilot bearing? All trans and bellhousing bolts tight? I fyou take it apart, look for scuffing, anything loose. But, it might just be break in noise like you said, but if it is LOUD like you said, than I don't think so. I guess it depends on your definition of loud is, but, I guess at this point, short of pulling it out again, drive it and see if it gets better.

Quick Reply: Ls7 clutch setup, now i have clatter