Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Shifter Popping out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Popping out of Gear

I have a stock '98 SS which started giving me problems shifting into gear with the soft/dead pedal that so many of us have had to deal with. After reading the hydraulic write-ups I replaced the stock MC with a Tick adjustable. During the bleed process with the car off and not pressing the clutch pedal I bumped the shifter by accident and it fell out of 1st into nuetral. Curiously I moved the shifter to 2nd without pressing the clutch pedal and the shifter held in 2nd. Further tests found I can do this in 1st - 5th gear. I have never noticed this before, I know it has nothing to do with the MC swap. Is this a sign of a bigger problem? After bleeding I test drove the car and shifted 1st-2nd without issue but had issues with 3rd and 4th gear. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

worn syncros??
Old 07-01-2009, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mombo98
I have a stock '98 SS which started giving me problems shifting into gear with the soft/dead pedal that so many of us have had to deal with. After reading the hydraulic write-ups I replaced the stock MC with a Tick adjustable. During the bleed process with the car off and not pressing the clutch pedal I bumped the shifter by accident and it fell out of 1st into nuetral. Curiously I moved the shifter to 2nd without pressing the clutch pedal and the shifter held in 2nd. Further tests found I can do this in 1st - 5th gear. I have never noticed this before, I know it has nothing to do with the MC swap. Is this a sign of a bigger problem? After bleeding I test drove the car and shifted 1st-2nd without issue but had issues with 3rd and 4th gear. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Well, putting into gear without the clutch (but motor off, is what you are saying, right?) is normal.

Ok, are you ONLY having problems going into 3/4? Not 1/2, 5/6, or reverse? JUST 3/4? And when you say you had issue's, what kind? Hard to get into gear, or grinding, or?? You could have worn synchro's, bent shift fork, broke keys.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Occasionally mine pops out of third while cruising. Never under load though. I chalk it up to vibration and terrible roads.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Teching In

The issue I was having after the MC was replaced was I could not engage any gear higher than 2nd. I could shift into 1st and 2nd but after it would grind trying to engage 3rd or 4th and I didn't even try 5th or 6th. My problems are much worse. I cannot get into any gear. The shifter feels like it is going into gear but when I slowly release the clutch the car does not move. I left the shifter in nuetral and tried to push the car from outside and it does not move. I tried adjusting the MC but that didn't change anything as I figured it would. Anyone know any reputable trans shops in Michigan??? I don't have the time right now to drop the trans and get into any further repairs.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mombo98
The issue I was having after the MC was replaced was I could not engage any gear higher than 2nd. I could shift into 1st and 2nd but after it would grind trying to engage 3rd or 4th and I didn't even try 5th or 6th. My problems are much worse. I cannot get into any gear. The shifter feels like it is going into gear but when I slowly release the clutch the car does not move. I left the shifter in nuetral and tried to push the car from outside and it does not move. I tried adjusting the MC but that didn't change anything as I figured it would. Anyone know any reputable trans shops in Michigan??? I don't have the time right now to drop the trans and get into any further repairs.
Can anyone provide feedback with my current problem of not engaging any gear? I have checked some local trans shops and I have not heard anything good about any of them, so my confidence in them is not good. It looks like I'll be doing this myself as usual. I'm thinking the slave is bad since I have solid pedal pressure with the new Tick MC and I never had any issue with the clutch until I started losing pedal pressure with the stock MC. Any advice is appreciated

Quick Reply: Shifter Popping out of Gear