Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pilot bearing question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by great421
Agreed.

(FYI - I use whatever full Synth oil is on sale!)

Hahahaha! I'm with ya on that. Even though I am a fan of the "overrated by most" Royal Purple. Since teh Royal Purple got started by a guy pretty local to me, got to support him

OK, my Step-father (a retired GM / ASE certified Master Mechanic) chimed in on this one, and (like me) said pilot bearings are an upgrade over bushings, but he has serious reservations about installing either dry.

He stated: "Would you install a wheel bearing dry?" (No) Then why even consider installing a pilot bearing dry?

To me, his logic is unquestionable and sound.

Again, I could be wrong, I'm just trying to keep a guy from trashing his tranny...

I always add a dab of wheelbearing greast to the input shaft tip, as teh "bearing" that I use already has teh grease inside teh bearing. I also just LIGHTLY coat the outside of teh bearing, to help in installation.

Originally Posted by Bones Z28
what kind of grease or oil would you use? I'll be installing a new one for my car shortly.

really just about any type of grease will be fine. But I normally use a high temp wheel bearing grease
Old 07-11-2009, 07:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobynine9
Yup, if you want to get really fancy there are bearing/race driver sets that have various diameter drivers. You can get a set for cheap at a Harbor Freight or similar cheap tool shop.
AutoZone has these in their loan-a-tool bin, zero cost after you return them.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
As heavy of a load as the examples I used? No. But there is a load on that input shaft.
I think this debate belongs with teh question "what brand oil do you run"
Agreed!
Old 07-11-2009, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

OK fleetmgr, I respect your position, but as a former GM Powertrain Transmission Calibration Engineer, I have indeed seen one; only one, but I have seen one. IMHO, that is reason enough to add the $0.02 worth of lubricant.

Also, you yourself stated: " ...you put in a new bushing, with grease; you then button it up and forget about it for the next 2,3,4, or 5 years until you pull the tranny..."

That's exactly what you should do, install it with grease!

Yes, I agree, the grease will NOT last forever, but neither will the oil which in associated with oil impregnated bronze. Additionally, the faster the bushing spins, the quicker the oil is drawn from the bronze. That's why there are Mark's Handbook Engineering Specifications on what minimum rotational speed requires additional lubrication over and above the oil in the bronze.

I do not want this to digress any further, I'm just trying to help "gmmusclecarman" from trashing his T56's Input Shaft, nothing more, nothing less.

I'm in no way trying to argue that it isn't good, accepted engineering practice to grease them on install, and anytime you have the tranny out in between replacements. As you say, that dab of grease just might keep your irons out of the fire. I was taking exception to the automatic assumption that without it, you will be guaranteed a destroyed input shaft. Demonstrably not so, by both of our examples.

Now with all that being said, do you remember what grease GM uses for this? NGLI #2..#3? Back in the day I used to use distributor cam grease. I'm sure that the maxim of anything is better than nothing applies, but what is the right stuff?

Last edited by fleetmgr; 07-11-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like the manual specifies a very light film of white lithium grease on the trans input shaft splines.

Every roller pilot I've ever bought came with grease already loaded into the rollers. I usually add a light film of brake caliper grease on the trans input shaft stub where it slides into the pilot.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tobynine9
Yes and Yes.

Get a pilot bushing for a '69 SS with the 396/4 speed combo. It'll press in just like a new bearing but won't spit the needles after hard use like the bearing will.
Im going to go and disagree here, Im pretty abusive to my car, and all I have ever used is bearings. Replacing it with a bushing just seems like a band aid.. I replace my bearing at every clutch install, I believe you should... Its cheap insurance. And there is quite a bit of load on the input shaft, every time you engage/disengage the clutch...