Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

shifting issues after 9in. install..

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default shifting issues after 9in. install..

so i got my 9in. and full bmr suspension in the other day and set the pinion angle and all that good stuff.. took her for a spin and wtf! im hearing a clunk when i press/depress the clutch and it seems like every gear but 1st and reverse is really notchy engaging.. its a built tranny from 6speedinc. and a ls7 clutch and flywheel with gm hydrualics.. iv never had a issue until the car sat for a month or so while i installed eveything.. at first i thought maybe the pinion angle or adj. t/a was causing a bindng in the drivtrain but rechecked everything and im at -2 deg... then i thought maybe hydrualics issue. put the mityvac on the master and bled the crap out of it. did not bleed the slave yet.. iv read many posts about pedal feel and things similiar to this situation, but the catch is that my pedal feels fine and engages/disengages about half travel with a clunk. also noticed if i hold the clutch in for a second or two and slowly shift, it goes into gear smoother but still not as smooth as it used to..
Old 07-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

i forgot to mention the fact that i have a slight wiggle/sway when giving/letting out of the gas, but i figured that was a combination of the detroit locker and the fact that i havnt got a 4 wheel allignment since installing the rear end. have adj. everything in the back. was maybe thinking if the rear wasnt perfectly straight and center it would cause a bind but double checked it all and think i just need a 4 wheel allignment. dont think that would cause a clunk in the clutch when sitting still?? any help would be greatly appreciated! just got the spray in and i got a itchy finger to let this 10 sec dog out of the pin but cant do it grinding gears!!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a side affect of the locker.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

thanx man! ya, i figured the swaying crap and possibly the clunk was from the locker.... the notchiness in the gears however have something to do with the clutch. think its just air in the slave? dont understand why it started doing it after the build?! they get air in them from just sitting for awile on jackstands? or you think its mechanically related to the clutch? goes in 1st and reverse like butter still?!
Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Ok bled from the slave tonight and the pedal feels even better then before so i def started to think that it was just hydrualics so I took her out for a spin and same problem..
clunking noise from the clutch area when clutch is pressed and still notchy shifting However, i ripped through the gears and it actually felt smooth.. I think Iv narrowed it down to the slave/throwout bearing.

Couple questions:

The tranny is coming off and being sent out to be gone through. It was built by 6speedinc. Since theyre out of business, what other Trans. company's are around the houston area that are reputable?? Is LMR doing the transmission work over there still even tho 6speedinc. is gone?

Also, going to be getting a new clutch to hold up to the slicks and spray.. Was thinking about just getting a 6 puck ceramic disk and new slave and use the old ls7 pressure plate.. Is this possible??
Is there any difference in the pressure plates from the diff clutch company's?
Or do they all use the same PP like the lt1 cars all use the "valeo" PP ??
And can the ls7 flywheel still be used in this kind of setup? Or better yet, can any companys like monster or whoever sell just their chromoly flywheel if perhaps mine cant be reused for any reason?
just seeing if I can peice together my own clutch package to save some cash.

Last edited by Zman420; 07-07-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

anyone out there that has any answers?? would help me out alot on making my decision of where to take the tranny and would help me make up my mind on how to go about the clutch..
Old 07-07-2009, 12:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

i had the same problem when installing my 9 inch but went away after driveing it. i have a true trac. the trans wouldnt shift and was notchy when was on jack stands but driveing down the highway it got better and feels normal now
Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
It's a side affect of the locker.
X2. My locker caused my trans to shift weird like that. I eventually had it faceplated so no more issues. I think it has something to do with the slop in the castleations of the locker. I believe it sends feedback through the driveshaft and into the tailshaft housing or maybe its just the change in output shaft speed that upsets the synchros. Purposely change the timing of your shifts. When you normally grab the next gear, wait a 1/2 second longer before you try to engage the next gear just to see if you see any difference. Let us know what you find. For me, this was awkward but stopped the ill effects with my trans. I should add that my trans was in need of a rebuild.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much what Dave said.The locker will make the gears notchy during cruise shifting.It will seem like a clutch problem but isn't.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

Hey Zman, give me a call, and I can get you squared away (local guy ya know )
Old 07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

makes sense.. iv been shifting it by waiting a sec and smoothly sliding it into gear.. i still get a lil notch or two.. however, when i press in the clutch i get a clunk noise coming from the clutch wich was making me lean torward the throwout bearing trying to take a **** on me.. its weird tho becuase i can speed shift it and it seems to shift smoother but i still get the clunk.. you can def. tell something isnt happy in there.. i also beleive the that the locker could possibly be pissing the self adjusting pressure plate thats on the ls7 clutch.. not sure on that tho.. is there any real fix for this if it is indeed the locker causing this?? just feels like im trashing the synchros in my fresh tranny.. dont even want to drive my car like this!
Old 07-08-2009, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Well, I personally don't feel as though JUST the diff is gonna cause your tranny to shift like crap. I have owned a Detroit Locker in a Mustang, and while that thing was all kind of noisey, with making clunking sounds and stuff(especially in turns) it never affected my transmission.
I think you have something going on elsewhere. I am not saying that the diff is not your problem, just saying that I would be looking elsewhere. Now, IF the diff is not smooth and you're driving down teh road and that thing is clanging around and whatnot, it could be sending jolts up through the driveshaft into the tranny (and eating up your ring and pinion as well)and causing problems with shifting.

But, if you are able to drive down teh road, and the diff is not making any noise (or you don't feel any jolting) then there is no reason for the diff to be the source of the problem. My .02

(think about it like this: If you were told that teh detroit locker is gonna cause your TRANNY to shift like crap, and it is normal, would you have bought the locker? Didn't think so)

Last edited by Gen414; 07-08-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

i agree with ya gen414... bob at exotic performance has never had any issues like this, and moser themselves havnt either.. im sure i just have a gremlin in there somewhere thats pissed becuase it knows that im about to slam the car on its *** as soon as i get the lil guy out of there! lmao ill get it figured out..
Old 07-09-2009, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

I have all the same issues with my tranny as well, and it didnt happen until i put the 9 inch with locker in. After i did my install i put in a text oz700 with new master and slave to try and get rid of the issue. I even put fresh fluid in the trans and it still goes in 1st perfect and notchy in 2nd and 3rd. I really hope someone has figured out how to make it go away and will post how they did it! I dont even like driving the car as much anymore.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

damn.. looks like my idea of the slave being the issue just went out the window! lol thanx for youre reply 02ls1z! think you just saved me the headache of pullin the trans. although this really sucks for both of us! ok, lets start from the bottom... we know its not the slave/clutch/mc if you changed all that crap.. we know its not pinion angle.. mines at -2. we know its not suspension related.. iv taken measurements on everything tons of times... only things left is driveshaft length, or just some freakish crap that the locker itself is causing... 2 questions for ya 02ls1z....... look at youre driveshaft yoke going into the tranny.. how much is hanging out? i see on mine a shinny ring around the yoke showing where my the seal used to rub.. meaning that the driveshaft is now hanging out of the tranny about a inch more then where it used to... wich equates to hanging out about 2in. out of the tranny! wich in my own opinion is a nono! shouldnt have more then 3/4-1 in. showing..
Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

my second question.. are you running the stock alluminum DS? maybe the alluminum DS is too light for the locker to work together with the output shaft on the trans. kinda like trying to shift with no load on the trans. just a guess, i probly sound like a idiot but im just lookimg at all the varibles from outside the box since iv tryed just about eveything i could think of.. exept for messing with the driveshaft.....
Old 07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

well i replaced the drive shaft with a prc drive shaft the same time i did the rear so i will have to take a look under there. I was wondering if it could be something with the driveshaft, i mean what else is left right????
Old 07-09-2009, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

just looked under the car and there is about 2 inches showing, dont really know if thats a problem or not. maybe someone will chime in
Old 07-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

hmmm interesting... were both hanging out of the tailshaft about a inch too far.. that COULD put the driveshaft in a bind, wich therfor pissing the synchros in the tranny off! just a hunch.. when i get off work, ill put my stock wheels and tires on and adjust the LCA's all the way in to see if i can get the DS to go in till i get the seal to meet the old wear ring and take it for a spin.. if that dosent fix it, were just fucked! lol
Old 07-09-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

def post your results, that would be fantastic if it works!! lets cross our fingers and hope for the best. If it works i wonder if i can get my ds extended by an inch or so.

Quick Reply: shifting issues after 9in. install..