Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Balls. UPS Damaged T56. Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009 | 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just replace my input shaft today, took about 35 mins of time and everything went smooth. front plate is pretty simple once you do it.
Old 07-24-2009 | 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Just thought of mentioning this, but if there's that kind of damage that you can see, there might be more damage that you can't see...
Old 07-24-2009 | 07:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Just thought of mentioning this, but if there's that kind of damage that you can see, there might be more damage that you can't see...
Trust me, I thought of that, and it doesn't feel good.
Old 07-24-2009 | 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have a t56 for parts if you want a used midplate?
Old 07-24-2009 | 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 97badass
i have a t56 for parts if you want a used midplate?
Thanks man. I'm stuck in limbo until UPS contacts me to come and inspect this stupid thing.
Old 07-24-2009 | 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok well if you need any t56 parts ive got a parts tranny. lol i bought a fairly fresh rebuilt t56 for 400 bucks so i gave up on rebuilding my other one
Old 07-25-2009 | 08:32 AM
Launching!

UPS did not contact me at all yesterday, so now going on 36 hours have passed since finding the damage and I'm still in limbo. I don't like being in limbo. I did see on their website that a claim exists for the package, but I guess they are just going to take their sweet time getting on it. Sweet.
Old 07-25-2009 | 10:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bull

Yours broke in the same spot, or somewhere else? Sucks ***** man!
Actually not sure of the location it was discovered by Tick... I am just hoping that when it comes back wed or thurs that it is in perfect condition so I can put in back in and get my car on the road again... Just to get my trans back I ate the additional money because I just hate sing my car sit knowing that I cant just hop in a go for a ride... Thats what sucks ***** lol!!! but good luck and hope your able to get it all sorted out and get your car rolling again
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:53 PM
Launching!

UPS never did call me, but my usual driver just showed up this morning and took the trans away...good thing I was even home!

Seller said he's going to send me a T56 with 70k on it, which is great. Only thing is he can't get it out until next Monday, so I'll be lucky to have it by the end of next week. Hopefully, my daughter will wait to be born for a bit so I can get this project done...I don't think I'll have much free time once she pops out.
Old 07-28-2009 | 10:17 PM
Teching In

Hey CONGRATS on the daughter!!!! Im in the same boat... I found out that im going to be a daddy on the tuesday before I pulled the trans so I want to get it back in and get the car on the road!!! Then the rest of the plans for the car go on HOLD... Once again hope it all works out for you.(i got my trans back yesterday and the container was in bad shape but the trans seems to be A OK)
Old 07-28-2009 | 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

Seller has offered, once claim is processed, to ship it back to him, his tranny guy inspects it and replaces the damaged midplate, then it comes back to me.
Seller is giving you the screw, but good. The fact that he can't pack something isn't your problem. The problem lies between him and UPS. I'd be demanding my $ back, and if he balked, I'd be contacting whatever law enforcement is closest to him. Waiting on UPS my ***, with their track record on claims service that could be 6-8 months, if at all. The if at all part will depend on who packed it for shipment in the first place.
Old 07-28-2009 | 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Seller is giving you the screw, but good. The fact that he can't pack something isn't your problem. The problem lies between him and UPS. I'd be demanding my $ back, and if he balked, I'd be contacting whatever law enforcement is closest to him. Waiting on UPS my ***, with their track record on claims service that could be 6-8 months, if at all. The if at all part will depend on who packed it for shipment in the first place.
Makes me glad I just ate the extra to get my trans back pronto
Old 07-28-2009 | 11:59 PM
Launching!

Thank you, and a big congrats to you, too! I am excited and nervous as all heck, especially about being in that delivery room.

Are you guys going to find out the sex in advance, or wait to be surprised?

Originally Posted by Tweak213
Hey CONGRATS on the daughter!!!! Im in the same boat... I found out that im going to be a daddy on the tuesday before I pulled the trans so I want to get it back in and get the car on the road!!! Then the rest of the plans for the car go on HOLD... Once again hope it all works out for you.(i got my trans back yesterday and the container was in bad shape but the trans seems to be A OK)
Old 07-29-2009 | 12:03 AM
Launching!

To be honest, I am not that happy with having to wait so long to get another trans in my hands when I did my part as the buyer, which was to pay in full for an advertised product. I agree with you that since the damage isn't my fault, I shouldn't have to wait very long at all to get what I paid for.

But, what are you gonna do, you know? I don't like to start wars, and the seller has been good about returning or making calls. He did not respond to a PM I sent about whether he could send out a replacement ASAP instead of waiting for the claims process, though.

I'll keep you guys posted, and I do appreciate the activity in this thread. Nice to have company when you hit a bump in the road, and what car guy doesn't hit bumps every now and then?

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Old 07-29-2009 | 07:56 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by thesource
This is why we ship our T56 units on a small pallet even if it cost a little more to do so. Tremec ships their units in a box but its very well constructed and have special made braces inside the box to help keep the unit secured. If the package was properly insured, have the seller file a claim on it. If not, try to work something out with the shipper and be ready to take a loss on it.

Also packing peanuts are not considered enough protection for such a heavy item so do not be surprised if UPS denies the claim.
Exactly, I would not ship unless it was strapped to a pallet and drop shipped.
Old 07-29-2009 | 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

ouch! I had this same exact thing happen to me 3 or 4yrs ago when I had my trans rebuilt by t56rebuilds. it showed up at my door with the input shaft sticking way out one end and a bunch of holes in the rubbermaid tote it was in. I had a bunch of cracks in the shifter housing so I wanted it shipped back to SSI.. but first I had to wait for DHL's insurance inspectors to come and look @ it since it was insured for $3k and considered a high value claim. it took them 2 whole weeks to come look at it before it could get shipped back to texas!! but it wasn't easy, dhl was trying to avoid responsibility so I had to threaten them with a lawsuit before they jumped. SSI checked the internals out and welded the cracks and sent it back, via fed ex, all on dhl's tab . talk about a bum summer tho, my car was down from mid to july till the end of august. hopefully you can get your situation resolved faster than that! GL man, if ups gives you any **** just threaten to sue
Old 07-29-2009 | 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Default shipping a trans

Some people just flat out underestimate the damage that can occur. You have to protect for any bonehead move by the carriers. Keep in mind, it's not their sh..t so why would they care... That's a used T56 from a Mustang I received earlier this week. Went freight but it simply wasn't strapped down properly on the pallet by the guy who sold it to me.

It amazes me that they crate complete motors in a wooden cage. A forklift will do quick work of those. I spend the money on 1/4" plywood and fully enclose freight items. No laziness. I sleep at night.

Old 07-29-2009 | 12:17 PM
Teching In

Thank you, and a big congrats to you, too! I am excited and nervous as all heck, especially about being in that delivery room.

Are you guys going to find out the sex in advance, or wait to be surprised?
Thanks and yes we are going to find out... My wife is the type to get things done in advance so the babys room will be painted and all the furniture will be built and set up yada yada yada, all his means is a larger honey do list when i get home from work I am extremely excited and nervous cuz i have no idea what to expect so i even skim over the what to expect while expecting book instead of my car mags while on the jon
Old 07-29-2009 | 12:22 PM
Launching!

We sound a lot a like. A great book for you, as a man, is "The Caveman's Pregnancy Companion." Hilarious, informative, and targeted to the average knuckledragger like you and I. I just hope you don't get all your nursery furniture at IKEA, like we did...if so, heaven help you assembling all that stuff!

The seller did say that he might start using plywood when he ships these T56s. I hope so, because as has been mentioned, UPS doesn't give a **** about them and if they aren't boxed right they aren't going to live. Well, some or maybe even most will, but then some shlubs like me will be holding their ***** for weeks, waiting to get a new unit while their car is apart.

Originally Posted by Tweak213
Thanks and yes we are going to find out... My wife is the type to get things done in advance so the babys room will be painted and all the furniture will be built and set up yada yada yada, all his means is a larger honey do list when i get home from work I am extremely excited and nervous cuz i have no idea what to expect so i even skim over the what to expect while expecting book instead of my car mags while on the jon

Last edited by Bull; 07-29-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2009 | 03:15 PM
Teching In

We sound a lot a like. A great book for you, as a man, is "The Caveman's Pregnancy Companion." Hilarious, informative, and targeted to the average knuckledragger like you and I. I just hope you don't get all your nursery furniture at IKEA, like we did...if so, heaven help you assembling all that stuff!

The seller did say that he might start using plywood when he ships these T56s. I hope so, because as has been mentioned, UPS doesn't give a **** about them and if they aren't boxed right they aren't going to live. Well, some or maybe even most will, but then some shlubs like me will be holding their ***** for weeks, waiting to get a new unit while their car is apart.
LOL man... and im sure their are more of us out there!!! Ikea not sure I actually install energy management systems for them so im on there new stores from rough in to comissioning and toward the end they are building their displays and setting up there rooms its a mess I really do feel for you in that situation, we are probably going to look there but who knows.

Dont squeeze to hard it might fall off!!! LMFAO!!!

Quick Reply: Balls. UPS Damaged T56. Repair or Replace?